Cast Iron & Galvanized Pipe Rusted Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYSEN

Reaction score
Could somebody offer a suggestion on removing a galvanized nipple to a rusted cast iron P trap for a bath tub. Drain system is under a concrete slab. I intend to replace the tub due to corrosion & rust.Is it also possible that the threads on the trap are gone due to corrosion that makes reconnection w/
new pipe impossible?:confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Squirt it repeatedly with PB Blaster penetrating oil, for about 2 days. You will need a 24" pipe wrench minimum. You still might break something.

nipple-rusted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

How large a hole will he have to make in the slab to get, and turn, a 24" wrench? And what are the chances the trap will snap if he uses that much torque? Cut the nipple out with a SawZall. If you cannot figure out how to do it, call a plumber who does. Your thread in the trap is probably still good. IF not the nipple would have just pulled out or turned easily.

DIYSEN

Reaction score
HJ, JIMBO
I appreciate your help & thanks.Will pre heating the connection w/ propane
torch help loosen fittings & where could I get the PB blaster penetrating oil
since this is my first time hearing this type of oil. I know of WD40.
Thanks again.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PB blaster is pretty common. WD40 helps, but is not a true penetrating oil, although it is often used as such.

Heat on the trap might help, but hj's point about just cutting it and joining new with banded couplings makes sense also.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PB Blaster is available at most hardware stores. It is better at penetrating than WD 40, but I concur with the suggestion about the recip saw and banded coupler option being the better option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks