Cast iron flange replacement? Not level, not bolted down

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat Carney

Reaction score
My toilet was rocking and leaking, so I pulled it and discovered that the flange is not level, not bolted down and has this metal ring between the flange and the metal pipe (photo)? Will it be possible to remove this and replace it with a compression flange? Since I am not too experienced, would it be best to call a plumber to do this part? I do not want to use shims again to level the toilet. Thank You!!

Attachments

• P1010179.JPG
    P1010179.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 514
  • P1010173.JPG
    P1010173.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 562
  • P1010176.JPG
    P1010176.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 436
  • P1010177.JPG
    P1010177.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 412

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A cast iron flange like that may not need securing.
Does the bowl fit over that without rocking? It looks a bit high. I would dry without wax first.
A single wax without the horn would be best on that.
However, if the bowl doesn't set down on that, you may need to either remove and lower the flange, or shim the bowl up.

Pat Carney

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply! The bowl will not fit without rocking, so it needs to go. I do not want to use shims. What would be the best way to remove and lower the flange? Would a compression flange be a good replacement?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Pat Carney

Reaction score
Update - I was able to remove the existing flange - it took me a week to drill out the lead. I ordered the Oatley compression flange. There is a great Bob Vila video on how to install the flange. This was very helpful as the Oatley flange did not come with instructions. I did have to rent a grinder to even out the pipe. It was difficult, but I did it! Thanks to Terry and Reach4 for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks