Cast Iron Flange leaded on an ABS Pipe, replacing flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew G

Reaction score
Probably a long story for an easy question, but I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and part of it is going from vinyl flooring to tile. The floor had water damage and so we removed the vinyl to fix the underlayment and subfloor. Once we removed these (around the toilet area) I realized the additional height of the ditre and tile was going to be an issue for the current flange. I had a plumber out at the same time doing some work on the shower piping and he took a look at it, so I asked him for a quote to raise it, not knowing it was probably a job I could handle. Once we looked at it we realized someone had leaded a cast iron flange onto ABS pipe (whole house is ABS and was constructed as such). The plumber broke the flange with a hammer to remove it to "get a look", then quoted me ~350 to replace the abs elbow/toilet flange.

Looking into the fix now on here, it seems like this is a relatively easy fix, and so I'm probably just going to tackle it myself. The flange is off now of course, but the leaded ring around the pipe is still there. My plan is to clip/drill/remove however the lead ring around the abs, clean up the pipe to see what condition its in, and install a new abs toilet flange (and a bit of pipe if necessary?). Is the problem as simple as I'm thinking, or am I missing some key aspect that makes his quote of 350 reasonable?

Thanks for all your help in advance, and apologies for the long winded story :)

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What kind of access to have from below? I would like to see a picture of the closet bend and riser if possible.

Andrew G

Reaction score
Hopefully that worked - no access from below, plenty from above, its a second floor hall bathroom with the floor torn up to replace some rot damage prior to tiling.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't know what he saw that made him think he had to replace the "Whole thing", rather than just remove the lead and get a 3" "spigot flange" to go into the elbow's hub. (I do not know any COMPETENT plumber who would have leaded a flange to an ABS elbow in the first place). You do NOT want to get into removing that elbow, because it is a side inlet elbow with a pipe attached to it.

Andrew G

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation HJ, I plan on using a "Sioux Chief 4 in. Black ABS Adjustable Ring Inside Fit Closet Flange"

http://www.homedepot.com/p/qv/202313197

Will that fit the bill? Also, am I right in thinking that I can repair and attach the floor-fix leaving just a hole for the elbows hub, then attach the flange after I'm finished by inserting it, and screwing it into the floor?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It might, IF that is a 4" elbow and you glue a short piece of pipe into it, but from here, it looks like a 3" elbow and if so, that flange will not work.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Also, you want a flange with a stainless steel ring rather than a plastic one. Sioux Chief makes those as well.

Andrew G

Reaction score
It might, IF that is a 4" elbow and you glue a short piece of pipe into it, but from here, it looks like a 3" elbow and if so, that flange will not work.

Thanks for the help, ended up just grabbing an identical elbow to the one in the floor in the store and figuring out what would fit. Used a spigot flange as originally suggested with the gasket-fitting from sioux chief like the one pictured. Really appreciate the help from everyone - ended up saving me a significant amount of money and learned something along the way for the next bathroom renovation!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks