cast iron closet flange leaded into pvc

can I remove a leaded cast iron flange from pvc pipe in the same manner as usual

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

timbo0876

Reaction score
I have a cast iron flange on my Toilet and it is leaded into a pvc I want to drill the lead out and break the flange ring..My concern having never seen this is well it be possible to re use the pvc pipe or should I plan on busting up the concrete to make repairs

timbo0876

Reaction score
The ring is severely rusted and I want to retile the floor and I don't think a repair ring and spacer would be a proper repair

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's one of those won't know until you try things but yes, drill the lead out

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure it is leaded onto the PVC? That seems rather unlikely since lead has a higher melting point than PVC pipe. Maybe it is some type of compression flange.

Asktom

Reaction score
The cast iron will absorb the heat before the plastic melts, at least it does when caulking plastic pipe into a cast iron hub - I never tried a closet ring, which has less mass. However, plastic pipe has a larger OD than cast iron and I don't see how the ring could fit over it unless the ring had been modified.

timbo0876

Reaction score
The cast iron will absorb the heat before the plastic melts, at least it does when caulking plastic pipe into a cast iron hub - I never tried a closet ring, which has less mass. However, plastic pipe has a larger OD than cast iron and I don't see how the ring could fit over it unless the ring had been modified.
Yes it's definitely leaded into the pvc I cleaned up all the grime and wax and sure enough it's lead

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cast iron not only does NOT absorb the heat, but it holds it for a long time after the lead is poured. Cast iron rings/flanges ALL are rusty, but that has nothing to do with them needing to be changed. If you drill the lead, you will probably damage the PVC and have to change it. Break the flange and then just slide the lead off the PVC.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The PVC is not going to be usable anyway whether you break the flange or drill the lead. Unless there's room for a Fernco the PVC will be partially melted and too rough to glue another flange to.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the PVC is 4 inch, and the leaded flange is on the outside, then a flange, with a metal rin that fits to the inside of the 4-inch PVC could be an easy option. They even make closet flanges to go inside 3 inch PVC, but those are not so well regarded.

timbo0876

Reaction score
Yes the cast iron flange is on the outside of the pvc. It also looks like when they made the up turn with the elbow and used a short piece of pvc pipe I could cut that out and just glue another in it's stead

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL cast iron flanges are "rusty", but that in way way means they have to be replaced. I replace them when they are cracked, and ONLY if they are cracked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks