Cast Iron Cleanout and Test Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Christine Smith

Reaction score
House was built in 1977, so we have cast iron pipes. We have a cast iron cleanout and our plug has gone missing. Went to Lowes to pick up a replacement, and we can only find 1.5 inch and 2 inch plugs. Problem: our cleanout has a 1.75 inch hole. Are our pipes so old that they don't make the size we need anymore, or did the previous owners jerry-rig this thing? Any advice on where to get the 1.75 inch plug? I've scoured the internet in search of one and can't find it.

Reach4

Reaction score
A nominal 1-1/2 inch plug is going to be bigger than 1-1/2 inches. Take your measuring device to Lowes.

Christine Smith

Reaction score
Thanks, you two! Second question (meant to include this in original post) - is there a specific plug we need to get for the cast iron pipe? We've got a 1.5 inch plug, but it is far too small. I'm thinking what we have may be specifically for PVC?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are probably measuring the outside of your plug and if so it is a 1 1/4" plug. ANY 1 1/2" plug would be at least 1 3/4" depending on how you measure it. Their size is not the same a what they measure with a ruler. There is no such thing as a "plug specifically for PVC".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks