Cast Iron better than clay pipe for sewers?

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
ui
Defending Boss Hawg Daley and his pathetic son? Bought and paid for by the cast iron and copper trades. They wrote the laws. union or not. Amonst many others. Thats talking from the .... if I ever head it.

Your rodents are everywhere in America, Although Chicago is particularly dirty, I must say, yet PEX survives. Funny how everyone else gets by. but Chicago is run by the human variety of rodent, keeping costs up for America. And filling the back parking lot of diners with city trucks for 3 hour union lunches. Unions protect only themselves and push our industries to Guatemala, where hungry people not stuffed with pastrami sandwiches LOVE to work.

I love copper, and the fact that we have some iron foundry's left. But you want to pay 5$ for a fitting? Save it for wires and roofs.

You just seem to keep talking out of your ....

Chicago plumbing code is just a stricter version of the Illinois plumbing code.... just as Lombard IL plumbing code has a stricter requirements compared to the state code and so on. Chicago did not write the state code, but it did as other cities townships and counties did, and make it stricter to meet the requirements of NortherneIllinoisos. To blame the codes that were written long before Daley ever was mayer on them or on the unions is bull crap. I mean for you even to post in this thread the crap that you posted about unions and Chicago is totally uncalled for. I guess Terry has let things go down hill since the last time visited this forum. How would you like me or anyone else for that fact talk crap about your hometown? If you do not like the way things are done here in the State of Illinois, do not come here then.

Oh BTW how many class action lawsuits are there on copper pipe? Oh wait none... but PEX on the other hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Lots of CAS on several types of M copper made poorly and sprung leaks like sieves.

The only CAS on PEX are the early off brands that no one with any sense needed to buy.

And CA suits suit only one person - the lawyer, who gets 90% of the squeeze.

I can talk crap about my hometown too, no problem. But any city that mandates clay pipe is stamped certified crazy. Clay pipe [and mostly cement now] has one use only: draining farm fields. Or draining pocket books of homeowners in Mob-town Chicago.

I know the Chicago machine VERY well, from the inside out, hosting 2 top end judges here at my home often, and knowing several persons working for the MACHINE. And many other reasons I wont bother with. These are not flatulent statements from a Toto, but well based on sad facts.

Chicago has some great museums, an interesting main sewer system, and good steak houses. Otherwise, Terry has standards like a saint compared to Chicago.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
question for Ballvalve

You mentioned that Chicago has an 'interesting' sewer system. I'm curious to learn more about this. What makes this system distinctive? Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ron,
I don't know what you are talking about. When I go to those other sites you are on, I don't find any useful information. In fact, a lot of the time you guys are giving out bad advice.
You guys make a point of not saying anything that a homeowner can use. Like this is all a big secret.
And yes, we have conversations here that range outside of what the plumbers like to talk about. I find it interesting and it gives ample opportunity to explain things even better. Remember in school when the teachers would tell you that there are no dumb questions?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
What I am talking about is the fact that advice givers just flat out start to call other cities filthy, and corrupt along with a bunch of other insults. Noting to do with what the OP asked. I gave the OP the answers they needed which is what the code is. If Mr Ballvalve does not agree with the code, start another thread and discuss it. Don't go on a rant disrespecting the dead (his garbage man story) and where others live. All just because he does not agree with the plumbing code here. Maybe he should follow what most mothers teach their children "if you do not have anything nice to say, do not say it."

Terry you know that I always gave sound advice when I come to your forum. I always try to ensure the posters follow the code of their state, or city they are in. I do not go off on a rant saying how bad a city is due to me not agreeing with the code they follow. If you would like I will go away again never to return, since Mr. BallValve thinks my city and everyone that supports it is a gangster ocorruptpt.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ron,
You do give good advice. My comments are for the other plumbers that post elsewhere. Though from the answers I'm not sure some of them really are plumbers.

I would prefer that you hang out on this site more then you have been. I haven't been to Chicago, but I like the people from Chicago. I'm dating one right now. Even Ballvalve has friends from Chicago, so the people that we know from Chicago have been very nice.
Ballvalve lives in the middle of nowhere, so don't take him personally. We call him the caveman here.
We're surprised he has running water. We still haven't figured out if he gets his water from the creek with a bucket, or if has indoor plumbing yet.

attachment.php

Ballvalve fetching wood to heat his water.

Ballvalve is fun too. and we're ed u cating him. (I broke that up into smaller bits so he could read it)

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Here is our small dinasour loading platform. Thats spiral riveted pipe from the same tech days as clay pipe. At least it can be repurposed.

Nevada trip, misc, 0ctober 21 2001 271.jpg

You got it close.... Here's our house and castle. We have better caves.

And our cave provides us with 5,000 year old scrapers for rabbit skins and cleaning roots out of clay pipe.

Nevada trip, misc, 0ctober 21 2001 290.jpg

But I wouldnt wear purple - scares the wood rats when you sneak up on them for a cold dinner.

And after the next Madrid earthquake, and Chicago looks like the shores of Japan after the Tsunami, All those civilized folks will be drinking from their toilet tanks [clay pipe shifted] and water heaters. And putting their neighbors on their Weber grill. Thats not cave-man, thats common sense to live with some space around you.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Nevada trip, misc, 0ctober 21 2001 269.jpg

Quite a few in this area, many uncharted on purpose.

Quite funny how thousands have visited this and stepped over perfect scrapers and flakes from making arrowheads. Looks like they were using an odd yellow quartz or obsidian. I just picked a spot close to a shady spot with the water near and pictured thats where I would sit as a squaw in 2000 BC. Looks like too many campfires have obliterated any petroglyphs in the immediate area.

Then the ranchers moved in and built this fine cabin, open to anyone when not occupied.

ChiTownBlues

Reaction score
ui

You just seem to keep talking out of your ....

Chicago plumbing code is just a stricter version of the Illinois plumbing code.... just as Lombard IL plumbing code has a stricter requirements compared to the state code and so on. Chicago did not write the state code, but it did as other cities townships and counties did, and make it stricter to meet the requirements of NortherneIllinoisos. To blame the codes that were written long before Daley ever was mayer on them or on the unions is bull crap. I mean for you even to post in this thread the crap that you posted about unions and Chicago is totally uncalled for. I guess Terry has let things go down hill since the last time visited this forum. How would you like me or anyone else for that fact talk crap about your hometown? If you do not like the way things are done here in the State of Illinois, do not come here then.

Oh BTW how many class action lawsuits are there on copper pipe? Oh wait none... but PEX on the other hand.
Hi All, I have a related question and can use your expertise. I live in Chicago and just had sewer work done in my basement for a renovation. My clay building sewer had long been partially separated just below the floor at the 90. As you have guessed, the bill to constantly cut roots out along the whole 125 year old line is substantial so the plumber proposed we replace the first 8’ feet of clay below concrete floor to replace worst sections and to chop out 5” root trunks from the vicinity. He also spec’d out a 6” clean out to rise above the floor to get 6” cutters for future maintenance. I have clay under the house all the way to sewer main so this was extended up through the foundation and transitioned to pvc at floor level. Seemed all good. Except a year later waste water began leaking through cracks in the clay spigot end (between mortar and spigot). Bad.
Plumber removed mortar and found the spigot/bell part had cracked. Maybe the Hvac guys bumped it while replacing the furnace weeks earlier? I don’t know. Anyways this seems like a poor design to have such a fragile joint for such an important function. Furthermore, I found he had made seam between clay and pvc with oakum and mortar. The male pvc sitting on top of clay spigot. Seems like another questionable thing as well don’t imagine pvc is made to fit into clay without some sort of special adapter.
This seam was replaced twice since and still continues to leak. Once with mortar (lasted 6 months) and most recently with epoxy (lasted 9 months). Thoughts?
When I questioned the design (using clay) he said he was following the strict Chicago municipal code.

Attachments

• C50F1BFE-281B-4413-8DF2-6EF901A07D7D.jpeg
    C50F1BFE-281B-4413-8DF2-6EF901A07D7D.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 619
  • 84940F5E-AE7D-47BB-94B9-A3BF008A3FF8.jpeg
    84940F5E-AE7D-47BB-94B9-A3BF008A3FF8.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 191
  • C4282222-798D-4FF6-8DC3-074D4AE25E29.jpeg
    C4282222-798D-4FF6-8DC3-074D4AE25E29.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 98483396-4220-43B7-98F5-75ADB948A1C5.jpeg
    98483396-4220-43B7-98F5-75ADB948A1C5.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 6148ECB1-0E01-4D18-8ED5-C1C9CC55EA8A.jpeg
    6148ECB1-0E01-4D18-8ED5-C1C9CC55EA8A.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 212
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks