Cast Iron bathtub, install in very tight space????

Users who are viewing this thread

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
My room is 68" X 60", door entrance is 24", currently have Arcrilic Tub.
Is it possible to place a 60" x 32" cast iron tub in same area as old unit?
I cannot figure how it could be accomplished.
I realize the difference between Acrilic and Steel. And would have the tub installed by a PRO. (just tub)

thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
They would need the right tools. A SawZall and a wrecking bar would be at the top of my list.

I suppose you want to install the tub so the 60" dimension corresponds to the 60" dimension of the space. It might be possible if all of the finish is off the walls. It might be necessary to remove a stud or two.

It is usually less work to bite-the-bullet and make the necessary space to work, rather than try to maneuver things into zero-clearance spaces.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub goes stud to stud. Yes, you could probably get a new tub in there, but it would be work. To set any tub (except a drop in on a platform), you need the wall covering off in the tub area, and then it needs to be redone. WOrth it? A cast iron tub will last a lot longer than the alternatives, so the decision is up to you whether it is worth it.

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
The Tile and Sheetrock/backerboard will be removed when the Old Tub is removed.
My problem is can I set an acrillic tub in that area that I only can move into the room thru the 24" door opening(upright). And then turn so it can be installed without breaking walls????

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any standard tub ( approx 14" high) will fit through the door ( sideways.). The layout of the room will determine how hard it will be to move it into position. Very likely that the toilet will have to be removed. You might have to do some creative stud carving! An acrylic tub or a cast iron will go in the same, but the cast iron will bust your chops in the process! You might consider the Americast type, which can be maneuvered by one person.

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
It will not be Cast, thats for sure.

I want the tub to feel solid and not flex.

Is the Mortar Base OK for most acrillic tubs?

How about the Amercast? Does that have a Solid feel to it?

Thanks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks