Cast Iron Baseboard location in bathroom remodel?

Users who are viewing this thread

carriagehousereno

Reaction score
I'm remodeling the bathroom in my century old carriage house in Philadelphia.
I'm looking for advice/rationale for where to locate the baseboard radiator. I'm planning to reuse the 38" Burnham baseboard radiator. The bathroom is roughly 70sf with the only exterior wall being the 10' side of the room. The baseboard was originally on an interior wall in the bathroom, but I notice the rest of the radiators in my house are located under windows on exterior walls. I assume there is a reason for this and now that I'm ready to begin installing the new tile floor, I need to know where to place the radiator. I could put it back where it was, but if it would be better I can locate it under the only window in the bathroom which would put the heater beside the toilet and at the end of the clawfoot tub (opposite the end where the plumbing is). I've attached a link to a rough sketch. Any help would be much appreciated.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AH7hz2ZFDqWru9k&v=3&ithint=photo,JPG

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The reason for putting it under the window was to counteract the cascade of cool air coming down the window with a rising column of warm air rising off the radiator. That makes the room less susceptible to having cold drafts near the windows on cold days, and (in the single pane case) lowered the amount of window condensation build up (even when there wasn't a hot bath keeping them steamed up.)

This was more important when windows were all air-leaky single panes with no storm windows, but with high performance triple panes it's almost meaningless. For windows of in-between performance it's, well... in-between.

If it's easy enough to just plumb it in under the window, go for it!

carriagehousereno

Reaction score
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I've upgraded to low e double pane vinyl replacements. So would there be any reason that it would be undesirable on an interior wall if that worked better for my layout?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Unless you're standing by the window at 5AM on the coldest day of the year you probably won't sense much of a difference if you put the baseboard on an interior wall.

As it happens, in my antique upstairs bathroom the tub is up against the window, and there's 40" of cast iron baseboard on an interior wall going under the pedestal sink an even a couple inches under the tank of the toilet, and I can't say I've noticed the draft. I'm in a colder location (central MA) and have crummier windows than you too (antique single panes w/ 1980s vintage storms.) The only time I'd be very close to the window is when I'm in the tub, which looks like it might be the case in your layout as well.

IMG_8465.JPG

Beads

All thumbs
Reaction score
re toilet: Your location may not apply, but splashes in that area can wreak havoc with metal radiators and convectors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks