Cast at a slight angle coming into the house

Users who are viewing this thread

kirm

Reaction score
ETA: It is 4 inch coming into the house and at the T goes to 3" up the main.

I'm replacing the CI cleanout in my house and after much jackhammering and digging I find this: I've attached a drawing.

I'm wondering if the ABS with Ferncos I'm using will adjust for the angles? They sure didn't have an issue with the oakum and lead.

Speaking of oakum and lead, I've been digging a bit in the hubs and I don't seem to be hitting lead. It seems that its just a fiberous asbestos like material. Possible?

And what about the reducer going from 4" to 3 inch" about a foot above ground? Code?

Now for the long story if your interested. I have some problems with some line plugging so I go to HD and rent a 50 ft snipe and have at her. I didn't think I got all the way out to the street (I was wrong) so I rent a 100 ft snipe and run it twice from the cleanout. I kid you not, it was worse after I finished than before.

So I call Epcor and they come out with the big guns. A camera shows paper in a gelatinous state (I think it actually might be the Blob) and the tech can't push through it with the camera...he's says I'd be surprised how often that works. The team go out and get the mother of all snipes. He puts it into the clean out but soon discovers that it can't turn into the line. The previous owner decided to put a small bathroom downstairs in the mists of time. He used a T instead of a 45 T. The snipe is useless. The fellow tells me I'd better get that fixed ASAP or I'll never be able to snipe that line with anything bigger than an HD machine and I've already seen how effective that is.

I decide to replace it all in 4 inch so that I never run into the issue again. I'll neck down to 3 inch above the cleanout. Anything to make it easier for the big snipe in case I have issues again. And that's the strange part of this whole story: while he's running the camera and trying to get the big snipe in, the water is running. The system never backed up once. He says that he has no idea where the waters going now. I'm having visions of a huge sinkhole in my front yard.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give. I'd rather just hire a pro and have him do this but I'm already underwater with this house. Let's just say this wasn't the only thing that cheap jackhole "fixed" his way. I'm all for doing it yourself but for the love of God, do it right. That may mean spending some money and some time researching and asking pros and that just wasn't his modus operandi.

P.S. You really don't appreciate civilization and modern plumbing until you have to s&%t into a bucket. ;)

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 262

kirm

Reaction score
In the dirt the Fernco may be fine. You can pack around the fitting and it won't be moving.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too worried about how it packs. I'll be using sand so it should have a great bed and won't move when covered. The sand was suggested by a civil engineer otherwise I would have used clay.
I'm just not so sure if the Fernco can handle the slight angle between the cast and the plastic. Has anyone had a similar situation? The angle is about 10 degrees from what I can tell. Being rubber it should accommodate this, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks