Cartridge for Moen shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

alicez

Reaction score
I have a fairly old shower in my bathroom and it needs to have the cartridge replaced, but I don't know which cartridge to buy. Can someone help? It is a teardrop shape and I pull it out to turn on tub faucet or pull a little 'lever' at the top or the faucet and then the shower comes on. (Hope I have posted this in correct section?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandingo

Reaction score
You'll have to first shut off the supply, likely at the main coming into the house or you'll have scalding hot water gushing in your face. Then you'll have to take off the knob and trim before you can get to the cartridge. I'd recommend just removing it, looking for a part number on it, and taking it to Home Depot. What are the symptoms? If it has just mineral buildups you could try soaking it in vinegar to dissolve them, but I'd try to get a new one first for a $25 after going through the hassle. Otherwise if it's cracked or whatever, try to get a new one. You may need a puller tool also. Good luck

alicez

Reaction score
You'll have to first shut off the supply, likely at the main coming into the house or you'll have scalding hot water gushing in your face. Then you'll have to take off the knob and trim before you can get to the cartridge. I'd recommend just removing it, looking for a part number on it, and taking it to Home Depot. What are the symptoms? If it has just mineral buildups you could try soaking it in vinegar to dissolve them, but I'd try to get a new one first for a $25 after going through the hassle. Otherwise if it's cracked or whatever, try to get a new one. You may need a puller tool also. Good luck

It is just a slight dripping. I live in apartment house and a senior citizen. I thought someone would know the model number for the cartridge. Once I knew the number I could buy it and then have handyman install it for me. This is a push/pull 'tear-drop' shower faucet. I thought there was a plumber on this forum who would be able to answer my question. One of my neighbors said possibly a 1225.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a 1225 or 1225B depending on where you buy it.

https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Library/Removing_a_Stuck_1200_or_1225_Cartridge

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited:

alicez

Reaction score
Thank you.
Then I can use either a 1225 or 1225B, is that correct?
The plastic one is 1225, the brass one is 1200.

Thank you for listening to and answering my many questions.
#1- The brass one (1200) would be better to use than the plastic one (1225/1225B)?
#2- And both the 1200 and 1225 would work on my shower faucet?
#3- The handyman here said the 1225 would be better to use than the 1200.

He said:
He contacted Moen with this question and they let him know that they recommended a model 1225 replacement cartridge instead. Technically either one will work but apparently the plastic 1225 offers a tighter fit than the brass (and more expensive) 1200.

P.S. Does anyone know what this (tear drop push/pull faucet) model name is? I don't see it on the round plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

alicez

Reaction score
Thank you. Can anyone answer my 3 questions in my previous post please?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 1200 will last a lot longer than the 1225, but may be harder to remove when it does go bad. In fact, the 1200 usually lasts long past the time when it should have been replaced because it just gets harder and harder to pull open, but does not leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks