Carry 5, a 5K walk for water CARRY5

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Join us on Saturday, May 30, 2009, at Seattle’s Seward Park, as we carry water in support of communities in need of clean drinking water.
Individual and team participants will try to carry 5 gallons of water for 5 kilometers along Lake Washington Blvd., the average walk made by women and children in poor countries who lack access to safe, convenient water supplies. All ages welcome!
Register online now

Attachments

• faces-rounded.gif
    faces-rounded.gif
    96.3 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What would it be like to carry 5 gallons of water for 5 kilometers every day and still not have enough?
  • In developing countries, women and children spend up to 5 hours each day collecting dirty water from contaminated streams and ponds.
  • Water-related illnesses kill 5 million people each year, the majority of whom are children under age 5.
  • Every day, 5,000 children die from preventable water-related illnesses.
CARRY 5 raises funds and awareness to end the water crisis for people living in poor countries. You can join in a walk for water near you, or start a CARRY 5 walk of your own. Once you've registered, you can create your own fundraising page, form fundraising teams, and invite other people to help you reach your goals.

http://www.water1st.org/

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Terry, that is a very touching video. If I were there, I would walk the park. You did a great job filming. You are going to film on Saturday right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry
I would like to get a couple of Tee shirts if possible....

how much for an XXL???

Mark,
I will ask them if they have XXL, if they do, I will send you some.

They wound up getting $35,000 yesterday, and their web site will be open for more for the next three weeks.
Carrying five gallons of water in my back pack felt pretty heavy toward the end.
I can't imagine doing this every day in the hot sun.

Video from India

Attachments

• terry_carry5_1.jpg
    terry_carry5_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 633
  • cathy_carry5_1.jpg
    cathy_carry5_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 649
  • cathy_terry_carry5_1.jpg
    cathy_terry_carry5_1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 630
  • terry_carry5_3.jpg
    terry_carry5_3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Terry, that was alot of money raised. What you said about the weight carried on your back is right, when you experience someone's else's hardships you then can understand and appreciate. I think you and Cathy did a noble thing. Are you going to enter in that contest, what do you think? Did you get any good footage to use? Nice pics.

You have beautiful country there.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
40 lbs gets heavy

did a lot of back-packing back in
the good old days..... 5 gallons of water
equals a medium weight back-pack.....40lbs..

you get over 55 lbs in one and it starts to become pretty serious...

I still got my Lowe internal frame pack, but have not used it in a serious way since probably 1994....

terry,
if you cant get XXL, just some XL will do fine

let me know what I owe you.......

Cookie

Reaction score
Those are wonderful pictures Terry. Did you take them? I was wondering how often they are going to do this? Is this annual?

That first sign about the weight of the backsack on your daughter's back is also, really true. Makes one think.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cookie,
I don't know who took those pictures on the water1st web site, but they sure are nice.

Here is a new video they posted from Saturday's walk.
It's under 3 minutes long, but shows what happened very well and the message they are getting out.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
CARRY5 Walk for Water - Seattle, Washington - May 6, 2012

[h=1]CARRY5 Walk for Water - Seattle, Washington - May 6, 2012[/h]
http://www.firstgiving.com/water1st/carry5-walk-for-water-seattle-washington-may-6

NEW LOCATION! Seattle Center, International Fountain!
Registration opens at 12 noon
Walk begins at 1:00 p.m.
Raise awareness, raise money, and change lives! All ages welcome!
What would it be like to carry every drop of water you use? Join us on Sunday, May 6 as we carry water in support of communities in need of clean water.
Individual and team participants will fill their containers with water from Seattle Center's International Fountain, and try to carry up to 5 gallons of water for 5 kilometers, the average walk made by people in poor countries who lack access to safe, convenient water supplies. Walk proceeds benefit Water 1st International and community water projects in Ethiopia, Bangladesh, India, and Honduras.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks