Carrier A/C Not getting cold

Users who are viewing this thread

clocert

Reaction score
I understand your concern, but this is a DIY forum. people come here to save money, or they simply don't have the money and hope they can do the repairs themself. In fact, there are a lot of repairs can be done easily by home owner. for example install t-stat, clean drain line, replace filter.., for more handy people, they can clean coil, replace contactor or capacitor, etc. it is all depends on how much they are capable and willing to do. To spend $79 to call a pro, then $240 to replace a contactor, another $200 to charge freon, $300 if it is R22... If they can afford all these expenses, they won't be here on this forum.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I understand your concern, but this is a DIY forum. people come here to save money, or they simply don't have the money and hope they can do the repairs themself. In fact, there are a lot of repairs can be done easily by home owner. for example install t-stat, clean drain line, replace filter.., for more handy people, they can clean coil, replace contactor or capacitor, etc. it is all depends on how much they are capable and willing to do. To spend $79 to call a pro, then $240 to replace a contactor, another $200 to charge freon, $300 if it is R22... If they can afford all these expenses, they won't be here on this forum.

It does add up quick.

I needed to replace my system some years ago, And when I went to pick it up, I was told that it needed to be installed by a dealer, They would not let me buy it. That sucks.

I hooked up my vacuum pump and collect the Freon and pumped my system down overnight, checking for leaks, so it would be done right, and the tech would not have to wait, and charge me more.

The new unit was pre charged. Well they overcharge the units so they can match any A coil without adding refrigerant.

The refrigerant should be collected, Not just disperse it into the atmosphere. The Tech doing the install just let it go into the air. I about hit the floor, and was told we can not afford to collect it and the EPA regs are already killing our business.

Even the new Refrigerants need to be collected, Even tho they are claimed to be safer than Freon.

Sorry if I got off topic. I do my own work, Because I can, and I keep a look out for the AC Police.

Sometimes it is cheaper to pay the Ticket.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score

$79 to diagnose and give repair estimate. All he is out is the $79 and he knows what is wrong.

If it's a bad contactor one can be purchased for about $10 and replaced by knowledgable homeowner who knows his way around 220vvac.

If it's a start capacitor once again these can be had for about $10 and replaced as a DIY assuming one knows how to discharge the cap first.

If it needs freon homeowner does not have ability to purchase supplies nor will he have tools to repair

PS. I keeps spare capacitors and contractors in my closet since I have several properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

clocert

Reaction score
I see your way. I have had an AC shop for 20 years, if every customer I have like you, my shop will be closed in no time. Not sure if you are in this trade or not, the way you are doing, no one will answer your phone. if they do, they will not let you out that easy. I am not saying they are bad people, but be honest, they have to be able to survive.

DonL

Reaction score
I see your way. I have had an AC shop for 20 years, if every customer I have like you, my shop will be closed in no time. Not sure if you are in this trade or not, the way you are doing, no one will answer your phone. if they do, they will not let you out that easy. I am not saying they are bad people, but be honest, they have to be able to survive.

EPA put my step Father out of business, He owned the service Center for Montgomery Ward when they went out of business. They had to provide service after the sale because of Consumer protection, He took the chore on for 10 years or so.

The approved recovery equipment is not cheap, and buying it and following all of the rules, was not worth the return. And he did not like to screw his customers.

I don't have my cert anymore, nor is it worth me to get it, just to loose money.

DonL

Reaction score
My certification, issued in 1992, does not have an expiration. Where did you get yours?

I got 1 in Indiana State, and The certs I obtained at NASA required a Retest every 2 Years. Because I worked on Flight certified systems.

Don't you have to retest every again ? That is Very cool, but seems like it would be hard to keep up with new laws.

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
Don't you have to retest every again ? That is Very cool, but seems like it would be hard to keep up with new laws.

Please look at question #7 on this link http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html I suspect that your NASA certification may not have been valid for home repair or commercial application; especially since you were not allowed to buy a new system.

A review of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) websites will keep you up to date on all applicable new laws. (Maybe not NASA systems - it is, after all, not Rocket Surgery)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks