Caroma Sydney Smart Rear Outlet any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
My mother in law needs a rear outlet toilet so I've been looking things over. Don't need anything fancy so I'm looking at the AS Yorkville, Kohler Barrington, and Caroma Sydney Smart back outlet (only because a user here posted about it). Just from quick pricing on the internet it looks like the Caroma would be $100 less than the others. It also is not pressure assist so would be quieter. But since it is not pressure assist and only 1.28 gpf I'm wondering if it is any good at flushing solids. I know Terry has posted ratings/numbers on toilets before and I didn't know if there were any ratings or reviews on this Caroma toilet.

This is also a small bathroom so I think the round bowl would be desirable as well. The AS and Kohler are both elongated.

Thanks

TJanak

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

This toilet has the "pipe" that goes from the toilet outlet to the closet flange. I'm assuming that comes with the toilet? The installation manual, etc. didn't give a part number or anything. http://www.caromausa.com/database/f..._Outlet_US_install_instructions_Sept_2010.pdf

Which reminds me; when the time comes, can a person go to the hardware store to get a flush valve? Being foreign made?

But I guess you probably can't run to the hardware store to get a new Flushmate or parts for it either.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They don't carry parts for the Caroma at the hardware store.
They may carry some Flushmate parts, but normally with these you would contact a dealer for parts or go to the manufacturer's web site.

The floor mount rear outlet Caroma should come with the tube that goes to the wall.

TJanak

Reaction score
Much appreciated Terry! I'll let the MIL make the final educated decision.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure assist is a gimmick to make poorly designed toilets work better. They are loud, splash, and tend to shred paper without totally evacuating the particles. The Caroma is an awesome flusher, but does splash. There is a U Tube video of a Caroma flushing whole potatoes! I don't recall that it was a rear outlet model, but they will handle a heck of a load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks