Care of Granite counters

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke

Reaction score
I am getting mixed messages on what is required to care for Granite counters.Friends say we need to apply a sealer and polish every year . The guy I bought it from says no need to seal since this was done along with polishing at the factory and is good for life. As long a water drops stay as drops on the surface it is Ok. Also what about cleaning ? Anything other than soap and water needed? Polish?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
MOst granite installers seem to recommend periodic sealing as a preventive maintenance step.

By the way, the new thinking is that installers should seal the UNDERSIDE of the slab before installation, as a way to minimize radon emanation. You DO know about granite and radon, don't you? Don't get me started on that $10,000 debacle! Try google.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
If we're going to worry ourselves, let's be sure to include, at the minimum, the soil around our homes, outside air, well water, building products such as concrete products and clay bricks, household products such as non-plastic plates and dishes, natural gas, phosphate fertilizers, vegetables grown using phosphate fertilizers, glass made using silica, and public water supplies.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
i heard on the news that eating apples could cause cancer. When the news started they said something you eat all the time causes cancer. Tune in to find out. They told me at the very end of the hour. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First you'd have to know what stone you have...some granites are so dense, no sealer is required, ever. SOme are quite porous and will absorb moisture and stains easily without a good sealer. You want to use a neutral pH cleaner fabricated for stone, otherwise you may compromise a sealer or possibly etch it with continued use. Granite is a mix of at least three minerals: quartz, mica, and feldspar. There are often others in there, and there are many kinds of those that make it a granite, so you can get all sorts of variations. To complicate things, some stones sold as granite, aren't technically granite. Stonetech makes some good stone products. Everyone probably has their favorite. A good quality sealer is quite expensive - my fabricator pays around $150/gallon at wholesale. A little goes a long way, so you'd rarely need that much except in a production situation, but smaller portions cost more per gallon.

Duke

Reaction score
Any other thoughts other than the cancer issue.Sealing and cleaning is my question.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I posed your question to an aquaintance who fabricates and sells granite and other natural stone countertops. According to him, if you ask three different people about sealing, you'll get three differents answers. His opinion is that factory sealing is best, but that it does not last a lifetime. 10 years wouldn't be out of the ordinary, however. As long as water is beading on the surface, it's fine and does not require resealing.

As for cleaning, he said that mild soap and water does work although you may need to occasionally use a soap film remover to keep the shine up. You may also want to try a cleaner formulated for granite to see if you like the shine better. Don't use anything stronger than you have to.

Last edited:

Duke

Reaction score
Thanks Sam . That is the info I was leaning towards and your friend has confirmed it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks