Carbon Filter + Softener Drain Review

Users who are viewing this thread

mario389

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some confirmation (or flack) for my whole house carbon w/backwash + water softener drain plan.

Details:
- Both Fleck 5600SXT valves
- No floor drain
- Sewer is about 4 ft up and let's say max of 10 ft 'over' from the discharge on the Fleck valves
- Builder provided 3" > 2" wye with 1 ft cap for a future grinder pump for roughed in basement bath. The pit is directly below the wye.
- We do plan on adding a full bath in the basement (Shower/tub, sink, toilet)

Picture of proposed drain location and plan: http://i.imgur.com/1AEwYDc.jpg (Sorry, I tried and failed at a Google SketchUp).

My plan: Cut the cap, then add a 90 away from the back wall/rim joist. 4" of 2" straight > wye + trap > 4" of 2" straight > wye + trap > 4" of 2" straight > cap. Once I add the bath/grinder pit, I will cut the cap and add another wye/trap.

Questions:
- Am I in the ballpark here? :) Is there a better approach? Following code is important to me
- Is this 2" drain enough to support these 3 items?
- Are 2 traps really necessary? Any way to get both the softener and the filter in the same trap? I'm thinking sink/dishwasher.
- Is flex line from the Fleck discharge to trap ok, or should I use PVC? I've seen mixed opinions on this since I'm going overhead.
- How far 'down' the wye should I cut?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Drains can go up to the ceiling and beyond.

http://www.tru-gap.com/Details.html can combine 3 drains into 2 inch pipe through an air gap.

It seem to me that you could wye the two drain lines together before an air gap, but I am not sure that would be permitted. It should work fine if you don't overlap the regens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks