Capping old trap drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dabensys

Reaction score
I am moving the location of my bathtub. The new trap drain will not connect where the original one did, so I would like to cap off the old drain.

Here's the old layout: 1 1/2 trap arm goes perpendicular through 2 floor joists then under the ajoining bathroom's floor where it wyes into a 2" horizontal drain. I plan to cut the old trap arm off just before it goes through the 2nd joist and cap it there. That'll leave about 2' of trap arm going into the wye.

I just want to make sure I don't have to go all the way to the wye and remove it. I ask b/c I wonder if a clog could develop down the road in the wye b/c there's no longer water flushing out the 45 branch of the fitting.

Thanks!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Cutting Old Line

You shouldn't have a prob. with the wye clogging up. If you will have access to the end of the pipe when you get done put an adapter and plug on it and you will have a point to run a snake if you ever have problems, luck. :)

dabensys

Reaction score
You shouldn't have a prob. with the wye clogging up. If you will have access to the end of the pipe when you get done put an adapter and plug on it and you will have a point to run a snake if you ever have problems, luck. :)

Great idea! The cutoff will be right under the bottom drawer of our middle cabinet. I can bring it up with a 90 and cap it just under the drawer. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks