Capping off Wye adaptor for kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DTV

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
We recently got a new sink installed. The old sink is a 2 bowl/2 drain sink, and the new one is a single bowl with a single drain.

Currently the drain pipe from the wall comes out and is solvent welded into a wye adapter which then connected to the 2 separate traps. I'd ideally like to remove the wye adapter and go straight into the drain pipe from the wall, but I don't have enough room to cut the pipe itself, and don't think there is even enough space to cut the actual wye adapter.

Is it ok to just cap one the unused end of the wye adapter? Will gunk/water just sit in the unused end and build up over time?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The wye should have been installed in such a position that it will always gravity drain. If anything does collect in the capped of end, it should have no effect on the sink drain.

If you are really motivated to remove the wye, you can cut it off & buy a rambit to drill out the sanitary tee and then install a single trap adapter.

DTV

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The wye should have been installed in such a position that it will always gravity drain. If anything does collect in the capped of end, it should have no effect on the sink drain.

If you are really motivated to remove the wye, you can cut it off & buy a rambit to drill out the sanitary tee and then install a single trap adapter.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just looked up ram bit and that looks like it may work well. Is that something I can find locally? Doesn't look like the box stores carry it.

Asktom

Reaction score
I'd just turn the branch of the wye you aren't going to use into a clean-out with an adapter and a plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks