Capping a supply line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Hello and thanks,

Just a quick question, is there any type of preference when capping a live water line?

We are now removing a bunch of H20 heaters and there is copper pipe going to and from them that are tied into the water ... It would almost be impossible to rip out all the pipe so I asked the plumber to cut, drain, and cap them ...

My ? is, and it may be a dumb one but is a standard cap soldered on good enough for a long period of time? Just thinking about the water pressure that will be on that cap pushing out over the course of years..

If there is another preferred way based on what I have descibed please do let me know.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly soldered fitting will NOT ever come off unless reheated to melt the solder.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There can be issues with dead-headed pipes. Your inspecor may have a problem with that

Beachfront71

Reaction score
THanks for the info ..

the alternative is to remove the T and put in a coupling (I guess) which would be a ton of work ..

if a properly soldered fitting is for the most part permanent, then that seems to be the way to go ..

just wondering what others would do assuming cost us somewhat of a factor...

This part of the remodel will not be part of the inspection for what it is worth...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any dead-ended section of pipe is likely to harbor growth of bacteria and stagnant water.

I would do whatever it takes to ensure regular flow through all of the piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks