Capping a gas fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

Trymaine

Reaction score
I have a gas fireplace and I want to burn wood in it, can I cap the line and use it as a wood burning fireplace?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to take the gas line apart outside and remove the line if possible. You will get more heat if you put in a woodstove or a fireplace insert. With a fireplace the rest of the house will be cold and you will fill strong cold draft going to the fireplace. I heat my house with a wood stove that sits in the fireplace. I sealed up the bottom of the chimney with sheet metal and put the stove pipe in the center. The wood stove has a blower and a box fan cirulates it around the house.

Trymaine

Reaction score
You need to take the gas line apart outside and remove the line if possible. You will get more heat if you put in a woodstove or a fireplace insert. With a fireplace the rest of the house will be cold and you will fill strong cold draft going to the fireplace. I heat my house with a wood stove that sits in the fireplace. I sealed up the bottom of the chimney with sheet metal and put the stove pipe in the center. The wood stove has a blower and a box fan cirulates it around the house.[/QUOTE

Don't trust myself to take the line apart, I was hoping to be able to cap it and use it for wood burning. Guess I'll have to buy one of the gas log setups. Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was thinking you had a brick chimney. If you got one of those cheap metal fireplaces with a metal flew pipe in wood chimney, I would not do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks