Capped vent pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Kermit, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kermit

Kermit New Member

I do not have a sewer vent pipe extending through the roof. Rather, I have a capped vent pipe in a closet. Is this acceptable?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

By capped, I assume you mean it has an Air Admittance Valve on it.

In some codes, theses are not allowed AT ALL. Other codes make some allowances, but there must always be at least one pipe going all the way through the roof. Lacking that, you will have occasional problems, and eventually the AAV will leak sewer gas ( and under the right circumstances sewerage) into your house.
  3. Kermit

Kermit New Member

Thank you for your help Jimbo. From time to time there are odors in the house. I shall have the pipe extended through the roof.