Cap on basement toilet rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

mtbmike

Reaction score
hi, a question about this plug or cap that I want to remove now that I'm ready to finish the basement bathroom. This caps the toilet line. Do I just cut it out? I am destroying it trying to port it out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 480

Sluggo

Reaction score
I had to do something like that last year. Mine was glued in place (don't know if yours is), and it was hard, thin plastic which I just carefully broke out with hammer taps, taking care to not let any big chunks fall down inside. If yours is rubbery, I would drill a couple of 3/4" holes in it close to the center and see if I could pry it out, or twist it out. What size is your cap? If it's large, say 7" or so, it may be attached to a toilet flange that's already installed and maybe you have to twist it to disengage it. I 'm not a plumber, but that's my 2 cents as no one else seems to be responding. Hopefully, more experienced folks will chime in here. Please report back on your success (or lack thereof). In any case I wouldn't worry about damaging the cap since you are going to toss it; you just don't want to do anything too violent that might damage what's underneath.

mtbmike

Reaction score
Perfect here's how it looked after. Thanks.

I had to do something like that last year. Mine was glued in place (don't know if yours is), and it was hard, thin plastic which I just carefully broke out with hammer taps, taking care to not let any big chunks fall down inside. If yours is rubbery, I would drill a couple of 3/4" holes in it close to the center and see if I could pry it out, or twist it out. What size is your cap? If it's large, say 7" or so, it may be attached to a toilet flange that's already installed and maybe you have to twist it to disengage it. I 'm not a plumber, but that's my 2 cents as no one else seems to be responding. Hopefully, more experienced folks will chime in here. Please report back on your success (or lack thereof). In any case I wouldn't worry about damaging the cap since you are going to toss it; you just don't want to do anything too violent that might damage what's underneath.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 336

Sluggo

Reaction score
Great! Looks like adding the flange should be a breeze. Thanks for posting those pix.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that you would take the rest of the red out and put an outside closet flange there -- presuming that that is a 3-inch PVC pipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks