Can't Stop The Toilet Tank Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoyter52

Reaction score
I have a slow leak in my toilet tank. Leaks down into the bowl, drips. Tank water level gets lower until it hits the low point and refills. I can see the water leaking from the bowl rim. Than said, I replaced the flapper valve with a new flapper. Still leaking. I replaced the entire overflow tube/drain fixture thinking it could be the rim or the seal between the overflow fixture and the tank. No luck still leaking. I removed the tank again and tightened down the plastic nut on the bottom of the tank that holds the overflow tube/fixture in place. No luck still leaks into the bowl. No external leaks. Any suggestions before I call for the costly option of getting a plumber?

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you replace the flapper seat-- the part that the flapper seats with?

You could try turning off the supply line water. Then see how far the water drops.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is the refill tube from the fill valve to the overflow riser mounted above the overflow riser on a little clip? Or is it stuck down in the riser? If it's the second one, then the refill tube can be siphoning water through the fill valve and down the riser.

If that's not it, how is your chain set on the flapper. There should be a little slack (like one link). Sometimes, if the chain is too tight, the flapper doesn't completely seal against the flush valve seat. Also, sometimes when you put the lid back on in a very few toilets, the lid will move the flush handle a little and cause it to tighten the chain and lift the flapper a smidge. (You can test this last possibility by seeing if the thing still leaks with the lid off.

If you have replaced the entire flush valve/overflow riser, and replaced the flapper, those are the only two other reasonable possibilities.

I'm guessing the refill tube; it's the most common of the above issues.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks