Can't seem to find a prefab shower kit to fit my homes alcove. Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Krispy

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster. Have lurked around and picked up some good information, unfortunately I have come to a problem I can't seem to solve in finding a shower base and wall kit that will fit the alcove in my bathroom.

We found out that our one piece fiberglass shower had cracked in the base and was leaking. I just completed the teardown and can't seem to locate a replacement shower. Please have a look at the dimensions in the photo below.

b4BzXtF.png

The shower I removed was labeled 36" wide (opening) by 37" deep x 77 tall.

All the shower kits I see in the big box stores seem to be 36"x36" I am fine with losing an inch of space in the replacement, however I have found that the location of my drain is abnormal. I am measuring 17" from the rear stud to the center of the drain.

Can anyone help me find a replacement shower that will fit?

One caveat, due to the small opening into my bathroom, I fear I will not be able to fit a once piece replacement into the bathroom.

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris

Krispy

Reaction score
To add some more details:

The shower kit that I would like to use requires the drain to be located 15-13/16" from the back wall, my setup measures 17". I need to shift the pipe rearward a little over an inch to have both the shower pan rest against the rear studs, and the drain in the slab be centered in the pan.

The drain is somewhat flexible in the slab, I can move it perhaps up to 1/4" but it takes considerable force.

I have found an offset drain that claims to move the drain 3/4" in any direction, however I doubt it would work with the prefab floor I am looking at.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many people are afraid of a tiled shower because one industry test I read stated that 70-80% of them are not installed properly! This leads people to believe they have to end up bad, or that the problems and concerns they have with them are 'normal'. Well, installed properly, they work! It's not super hard, either, but it is VERY detail oriented, and missing one step can lead to disaster. If you were to consider a tiled shower rather than a prefab, it would be easy to accommodate what you have and your design possibilities would be endless.

There are companies that will custom build a shower pan for you to match what you have. You'd have to compare that cost with a 'stock' one plus the cost of a plumber to move it to where it needs to go. It may just come out about even.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks