can't remove tub overflow drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
20150613_171333_resized.jpg

I've replaced the beveled washer on the back of a tub overflow drain a number of times in the past. But I've never seen one like this! I took off the front cover and the screw holes are held in by tabs that stick out too far to push back behind the tub! What the hell? I thought maybe the whole thing was screwed in but it won't budge. How do I push this thing behind the tub to replace the washer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks Smooky. I read that thread and at first Terry said it screws in but then everybody decided to just grind off the tabs. I'm a little worried about doing that. what if the tabs are needed to hold the gasket tight?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It screws in and holds the top tight against the tub. To remove, you "un-screw".
Pliers will work, or to start it, maybe a block of wood and a hammer, using the wood and a hammer tap it counter-clockwise.
You can also just tap it, but you risk making a chip on the tub if the hammer misses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A large screwdriver across/between the lugs, or a pair of large Channelock pliers will usually do it. Do NOT "remove" the tabs, because they are what will secure the new gasket when you screw it back together.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help! I sprayed in some PB Blaster and got it turned about a quarter turn but no further. I tried my plumbers pliers, a screwdriver with a torque bar, and a jimmy bar but it will not go any further. I'm pretty sure if I push any harder I'm going to break the tabs off. I don't really understand why It won't go farther. That tub has been recoated a few times so maybe it's having a hard time getting past that extra width?

I have access behind the tub so I think I can grind the tabs off, pull out the overflow drain and put in a PVC one with a beveled gasket and single screw cover plate. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? Aren't the drains on all tubs including old ones 1 1/2"? Could the back of the tub be at a weird angle or have an unusual shape?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks