Can't remove strange closet flange anchoring screws, help!

Users who are viewing this thread

cola

Reaction score
Hey guys, I do maintenance for a pretty large establishment and have replaced and repaired my fair share of closet flanges and wax rings and what not. However today I ran into a roadblock that not even lurking on this site could solve. I've got what looks like round head bolts anchoring the flange to the concrete floor beneath the tiles in this commercial bathroom. I've never seen anyhting quite like it and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out how to extract it, I'm hoping to just use a spanner flange as opposed to replacing the entire pvc thing. I've tried making a slot with a hacksaw and screwing it out but it wouldn't budge.

Thanks for any and all help!

20141014_130614.jpg
20141014_130614.jpg
20141014_130628.jpg

cola

Reaction score
Well that doesn't sound like too much fun. After I drill them out what would you recommend I do to re-seat it?

cola

Reaction score
Are there any alternatives to using spanner flanges? It's all I've ever had to do short of replacing the entire flange. I've seen what look like entire metal rings sitting on top of the pvc but that seems like it would cause a leak, and I think I'd have a difficult time securing it seeing as I can't get the anchors out of the existing one.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
quote; You have to drill them out.

Except the center "expansion pin" is hardened metal.

Just means it'll take longer or more bits… I mean you could also grind off the heads and leave the shank in the concrete and drill new holes to secure the flange.

Or repair the flange in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One thing to remember when you install the flange is to use the two "notches" on the sides rather than the long curved slots. The installer using those "grooves" is what caused your problem. Good installers do NOT use those slots, but then we don't use all plastic flanges either.

Reactions: SHR

cola

Reaction score
Thanks guys, went to a local plumber supply and he recommended a metal ring that fits over the existing flange, I anchored it with some tapcons through the original flange and it's stable as a rock and doesn't leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks