Can't remove shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

kman1801

Reaction score
Happy Holidays! I'm at my mom's and one of the faucet handles in the shower has become completely loose and just spins without turning the water on or off. Up until today, the handle would catch on the stem gears so it was still usable, but that is no longer the case.

See photo or link for type of handle. No idea which brand.

OzKTxucnl

http://screencast.com/t/OzKTxucnl

It feels like the allen screw has fallen out, but no matter how hard I pull I can't get the handle off. And it doesn't appear to be a separate cover where the "H" is that can be removed to expose another screw; looks like all one piece.

Any ideas about how to remove this so it can be replaced? Why it is stuck? (Please don't tell me I need a handle remover)

Thank you!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
a handle remover would be useless because there is no center screw hole for it to push against the stem. It is probably a "FitAll" handle and if so, it is just stuck and has to be pulled harder. But, since Allen screws SELDOM "fall out" be sure it is actually not in there.

kman1801

Reaction score
Ahhhh right... thank you! Turns out that the Allen screw was holding fast. Tried to remove it a few months ago, but must have had the wrong size.

Purchased a new allen set and was able to remove the handle without a problem. New handles, new life... happiness.

Interesting that the handle would become so loose and unusable while the allen screw was still intact.

Thanks again, so much money and headache saved from your kindness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks