Can't Remove Shower Drain -- Part of Shower Pan? (pics)

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mbloom, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mbloom

mbloom New Member

Is it possible that the drain was permenantly attached to the shower pan? I had a leak, spent two hours getting out the lead and oakem thinking I could replace with a rubber gasket. Local plumbing supply suggested repacing with PVC and using a rubber PVC to copper coupler. I can't figure out how to remove the old drain.

Appears to be one piece -- no threads or gaskets... House is 30 years old, unsure of shower.

Bottom (note joist appears in the way):

[​IMG]

Top:
    [​IMG]
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

"Terminate with extreme prejudice!":eek:
    Remember Apocalypse Now?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That drain is "fixed" to the pan.
    A rubber donut may work.
  4. mbloom

mbloom New Member

Options?

Thanks Terry, that is what I was afraid of. If I can't get the donut to work do I need to look for a 100 year old plumber who still uses lead and oakum?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. pbradley_1

pbradley_1 New Member

It looks like you have a wedge-lok (sp?) drain. Thay are still sold. There is a dount gasket that goes between the flange and the pipe. Not sure why something else was in there. I just removed the one from my shower.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

It should be pressed together so if you cut a slit in the lower piece it should open up to allow you to pull the two pieces apart.