Can't remove old faucets - help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazz3

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom and cannot remove the tub faucet handles.

Here are links to photos. Looks simple. There is a small cap in the center. Removed cap. Inside there is a small screw. Removed screw. Problem is that the handles won't come off. They are approx 40+/- years old estimating the age of the house (built in the early 60's). I gave them a strong tug, tried a faucet control puller tool, gave a light whack and nothing.

Is there a plumbing secret I am missing? :confused:

Photos:
May12_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need a faucet handle puller, availabe at any plumbing supply outlet or Large Box store.

Jazz3

Reaction score
I already tried that. When I said control puller, I meant a handle puller.

I stopped when the puller tool began to bend. :mad:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
spray some PB Blaster into the screw hole and let it sit for a bit. Try again. Gentle persuasion with a 22 oz. framing hammer will take em off also but you're gonna need new handles when you're done.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Take a torch and heavy leather glove...SLOWLY keep heating the handle and from time to time keep trying to remove it with the leather glove moving the handle left to right and up and down on the stem.

Try not to move the whole stem as that won't help with the removal of the handle.

It will let go at some point but how hot it needs to get B4 it does is the question.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One thing I know when using pullers is that you tighten it up into a pulling position, you just snug it to a position where it is pulling, then give a sharp rap on the tightening screw of the puller. This shocks the connection and often it just pops loose at this point. Sometimes you have to tighten again and hit it again several times.

If this fails I would move to more extreme measures...

One thing to consider too is when using heat to try to loosen a joint, You want to heat the part on the outside of the joint to expand it causing the joint to loosen. If you heat both the part on the outside and the inside part the expansion will be the same on both parts with nothing gained.

I have worked on mechanical assemblies where one part was put on a freezer and another part was put in an oven prior to assembly. Both parts slid together easily yet when the temperatures equalized there was no way they were ever coming apart.

Jazz3

Reaction score
Thank You - will try the PB and then heat if necessary....! :D

David_NC

Reaction score
How about cutting 'em off with a reciprocating saw between the knob and the wall? I would assume you're not planning on reusing them since this is a remodel and they're 40 years old.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thank You - will try the PB and then heat if necessary....! :D
They look to be "pot metal" which is zinc-magnesium, which tends to weld itself to the brass shaft that they are on due to galvanic corrosion. You could pull forever before you get them off. Just cut them off like David suggests with a hacksaw or saws all. You'll need a blade with teeth spaced for soft metal, because both metal types tend to "gum up" a fine toothed blade.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A hack saw is not necessary, I have never had a handle that heat would not remove...hack saws are for hacks...that is why they are called hack saws :D

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
How about cutting 'em off with a reciprocating saw between the knob and the wall? I would assume you're not planning on reusing them since this is a remodel and they're 40 years old.

Or smash wall open, cut water lines and valve comes out in one piece.

Channel Locks on handle. Move channel Locks back and forth till handle breaks off. Replace handles and stems. Job done :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

A hack saw is not necessary, I have never had a handle that heat would not remove...hack saws are for hacks...that is why they are called hack saws

Exactly, although I have had one or two handles that required breaking the stem off. But to use a hacksaw he would either have to cut through the handle or the flange also because none of the stem is visible to cut it directly.

joeburmeister

Reaction score
My tenant calls me (she in Richmond, VA - I live in a another state) and tells me the bath tub faucet needs to be replaced since water is going behind the faucet wall plate. The faucet looks very much like what is in the pictures posted by the OP. Keep in mind the house over 25 years old. She called the plumber and plumber told her he can't get the faucet handle off and most likely corrosion has set in which can weld the handle to the stem.

He is quoting $700 (!!!) to do the repair.

I think that is way 2 much. I think the plumber is taking advantage of a female tenant who is cluless about the plumbing. Can any professional plumbers out there tell me whether $700 is reasonable to replace faucet?

The plumber was done in a matter of hours with the work.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks