Can't remove Moen Monticello Shower Handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Rogers

Reaction score
I have a Moen Monticello shower handle, approximately 15 years old, and I cannot remove the handle. I'd like to upgrade all the fixtures but am stuck on this one.

I used a 3/32 hex wrench to remove the hollow screw in the handle. I also (accidentally) used a 7/64 and removed the temperature limit stop safety mechanism, which on this model consists of a small short screw and a square metallic plate that goes on the inside of the shower handle.

Despite removing both of these screws, the handle will not come off. The thin inner chrome ring between the handle and the wall is loose and can be moved forward and back, but the handle feels very firmly attached.

I checked online manuals but none of the ones I can find precisely match my model. Any tips as to what I am missing?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Is this a faucet with a round handle or a lever, because I have NEVER seen one with a screw and metal plate "inside" the handle. The temperature limiter is almost always BENEATH the handle and you have to remove the handle to do anything to it. The "stop tube" that moves in and out is just a trim piece and has nothing to do with removing the handle.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
While your waiting for some expert replies, I would be spraying penetrating oil (i.e. PB Blaster or such) in/around the handle to hopefully loosen things up. Good luck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/t2529pt.pdf

The set screw is on the underside of the handle. Loosen that and the handle pulls off.

moen-monticello-shower-tango.jpg

Last edited:

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the handle not properly greased when installed. .pretty much screwed.. I hacksaw it off.. replace it with regular handle unless the customer want me to order oem if it's available.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Rogers

Reaction score
I'm not sure pictures actually help since the look is standard Moen Monticello style, but knock yourselves out. Below is a picture of the handle, left the 3/32 screw and wrench on for the picture, in case anyone recognizes the older model Monticello style.

Also posted a picture of the safety stop which I was able to remove without taking the handle off, since the 7/64 screw was just barely accessible on the trim tube. Once the screw was off, the square plate fell out. Now the handle overturns slightly past 90 degrees on the hot side. Definitely need the handle off to put the safety stop back on though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
The way it's tightly attached I'm concerned if I pull any harder I'll damage the wall or valve.
Can you pry? That way, the force would be against other parts of the valve rather than against the wall.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Maybe use a small 4"grinder (or dremel) to cut a notch in handle then split. You can still buy a replacement handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can replace the cartridge while you are at it. You will be looking at new trim too it looks like.
I'm doing a Moen trim replacement this morning. That and a new tub spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks