Can't remove Delta "bonnet" to replace cartridge!

Users who are viewing this thread

mshantea

Reaction score
Thanks to all on this thread. I tried the vinegar. No joy. Also too much pressure when using both channel locks and pipe wrench. I actually moved the actual plumbing in the wall a bit. Heat was the trick. Used a Ryobi heat gun. I went ahead and replaced the bonnet with a new one. Why not while in there. $6.
Did it by myself. No need for anyone else.

Chris2300

Reaction score
I used a strap wrench and I thought the bonnet nut was coming off but I realized that I had slightly turned the whole body. I turned the water back on and don't see any leaks. Am I in the clear since there are no leaks or did I do any damage by turning the whole body while trying to get the bonnet nut off? Thanks.

Last edited:

Sameer

Reaction score
I started fixing my leaky faucet and I bought a replacement cartridge, my problem is I cannot get the nut back on once cartridge is there. If I do not put the cartridge the nut can tighten but if I put the cartridge the nut just does not see to be getting into the groove to be tightened. I have tried using the old cartridge as well as using some force while tightening.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I started fixing my leaky faucet and I bought a replacement cartridge, my problem is I cannot get the nut back on once cartridge is there. If I do not put the cartridge the nut can tighten but if I put the cartridge the nut just does not see to be getting into the groove to be tightened. I have tried using the old cartridge as well as using some force while tightening.

I would take a good look with the cartridge out. It may be there the old springs and washers are still in the body of the valve.

Hector Solis

Reaction score
I could not remove the bonnet, even with an 18" pipe wrench. I tried the hot water and vinegar trick. Wrapped a soaked rag and left it for about 4 hours. After that, the bonnet came off rather easily using channel pliers. I did not expect the vinegar to work since others on this thread had no luck.

Daluu

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are talking about, but I hope you are NOT turning the water on without the bonnet nut in place.

is that likely going to eject/shoot the cartridge out of the valve? and water spattering out

Daluu

Reaction score
Try to get a wrench on the body of that valve, another on the bonnet nut.
If the body twists, you'll be spending close to $600 to fix it.

What do you mean body twists? A part of the valve cracks or breaks off? Or the valve connections to the plumbing pipes leak or break?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks