Can't remove anode rod or fill tube???

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Handiman, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Handiman

Handiman New Member

Hello, I'm trying to lengthen the usable life of my water heater by replacing the anode rod (ZINC?) and using an angled fill (dip) tube (to really get all the debris out).

Problem is I can't get either one off. It's almost as if they are welded on there with rust and corrosion. I tried pretty hard using a breaker bar but I don't want to break the actual fittings so I stopped. I used all kinds of PB BLASTER and WD40 to no avail letting it soak for days. Any other way to get these off?
    Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Got an impact wrench? I'm told that's how they're installed...with the age and corrosion, it may be the only way to remove them as well without twisting the plumbing into a pretzel.
  3. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

I get a good quality six sided socket 1" drive and a long breaker to get the leverage needed.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. sometimes they dont come out

they can be hell to get out and on occasoin they wont come out....

you might need someone to hold the heater in place while you try to turn out that bolt... or the heater will move
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I take them out with 1 hand and no need to hold the tank with my battery powered Milwaulkee Impact gun...

[​IMG]
  6. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Aw man now I need to get me one of them.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Good for changing tires too.:D
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

caveat

Just beware that if the tank is marginal, you can break the welds when you create the force necessary to remove them. Also, the curved dip tube ONLY keeps the tank clean when there is enough velocity to do so. Most new faucets with their limited flow will not do it. The bathtub and clothes washer are usually the only things that make it work these days. AND, the stuff it stirs up does not "disappear". It has to go someplace and that someplace is usually the aerators of the faucets, plugging them up.