Can't manually turn valve on anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

jerbark

Reaction score
I just discovered that my gardener "accidentally" cut the 2 wires connecting the sprinkler valve to the controller/clock i.e. it's just a stand alone valve now. The gardener can't come out right away to fix it, so for the past few days, I've been manually turning the valve on to manually turn on the sprinklers. Today I went out to do the same thing and the water won't come on at all (when it was previously manually turned on, it would leak/drip quite a bit at the valve, but that doesn't even happen now). It's just a manual value now like a faucet, right? Why won't the water go on when I turn the valve? Please help!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
With the wires cut the valve will be off by default.

How it ever worked is something.

Sounds like it is working correct now, it may have had trash in the valve.

Connecting the wires should make the valves open, Unless they are shorted together.

Good Luck.

jerbark

Reaction score
Did you even read my postl?

I'm truly hoping that someone who actually read my post, will give me some help.
Thanks in advance.

BRD

Reaction score
Once you open the bleeder screw on top of the valve or turn the solenoid open enough that water begins to spirt , the valve should open. are you sure that the main shut off valve that provides water to the valve is OPEN. Irrigation valves are electrically actuated but hydraulically operated for those of you that do not understand how they work.

jerbark

Reaction score
BRD, first of all, thank you very much for trying to help/educate me.

>>Once you open the bleeder screw on top of the valve or turn the solenoid open enough that water begins to spirt , the valve should open.

This particular valve doesn't appear to have a "bleeder" screw (I have that on some other valves). This just has a valve at the top, where, if I turn it, the water USED to manually come on. Manual operation was working fine (a pain in the neck, but working) until a couple of days ago when it just stopped working. I thought that manually operating a valve wasn't much different from turning on a hose faucet i.e. when it's in the off position, the water won't go through and when it's turned "open" the water goes on...but this stopped happening.

>>are you sure that the main shut off valve that provides water to the valve is OPEN.

The only water shut off to this value is about 5" away and it's the main water shut off for the entire house, so I know that it is open. My question is - why/how would a valve just stop working "manually"? This doesn't make any sense to me.

>>Irrigation valves are electrically actuated but hydraulically operated for those of you that do not understand how they work.

OK, so I definitely don't get the "electrically actuated but hydraulically operated part", maybe that's the problem?

BRD

Reaction score
Are you getting water to spirt out when you twist open the valve solenoiid? If not open it until it does. It is necessary to relief the water pressure at the top of the valve diaphragm in order for the valve to open. This is part of the hydraulics of its operation. I just wanted to be sure you have water to the valve to begin with. If it worked before it should work now. The diaphragm may be stuck closed, but I kinda think that is unlikely,, yet possible. Try it, if it does not work let me know what make/model valve you have. one other thing, if the valve has a flow control handle at the top, be sure it is all the way open

jerbark

Reaction score
I sent you a post yesterday, but it doesn't appear to have come through, so here it is again<g>. First of all, thanks for all of your help so far.

>>Are you getting water to spirt out when you twist open the valve solenoiid?

I WAS getting water to come out, but now I don't get anything.

>>If not open it until it does.

NOW, even when I open it all the way, no water comes out at all. Previously, when I manually turned the solenoid(?), the sprinklers would come on and a decent amount of water would leak/drip out around the solenoid. Now, when I manually turn the solenoid, nothing happens, not even a drip.

>>It is necessary to relief the water pressure at the top of the valve diaphragm in order for the valve to open. This is part of the hydraulics of its operation. I just wanted to be sure you have water to the valve to begin with.

I definitely have water to the value - nothing has changed in this regards.

>>If it worked before it should work now. The diaphragm may be stuck closed, but I kinda think that is unlikely,, yet possible.

This sounds like what is happening....I don't understand it though and I don't know how to fix it.

>>Try it, if it does not work let me know what make/model valve you have. one other thing, if the valve has a flow control handle at the top, be sure it is all the way open

I don't know the make and model off hand, but I've loaded 2 pics onto Flickr (I hope you can access them).

First pic shows the 2 values. The left one is the one that the wires got accidentally cut.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57149023@N08/14192031851/in/photostream/

This pic shows the red, water shut off value which not only controls the water to these 2 sprinklers, but to the entire house i.e. it's open and working so I know that the sprinkler is getting water. Also, the other sprinkler on the right is working fine using the sprinkler timer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/57149023@N08/14008680800/in/photostream/

I hope this helps! Thanks again.

BRD

Reaction score
That is an electric anti siphon valve. Not familiar with that brand. They look pretty old. Anyway, the gray ring just under the black part with the wires (solenoid), does that turn? If it does rotate it counter clockwise. If not, and you have loosened the solenoid sufficiently without results, then your diaphragm must be stuck closed or the plunger is stuck in the solenoid, but by loosening the solenoid enough to the point of almost taking it out it should come on even with a stuck plunger. Aside from that you might have to replace the guts or a new valve.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If it is stuck closed, Then hooking the wires backup may help un-stick it.

jerbark

Reaction score
I tried what you suggested, but still no water. I just ended up replacing the value and now it works fine. Thanks so much for all of your help and patience!

Hey

Reaction score
I'm bringing this post back because I am encountering the same issue. I have six zones. All work normally except zone 4. Zone 4 made a buzzing noise so I replaced the whole motor unit which included a brand new solenoid. The new motor valve also makes a buzzing noise. No water is flowing through. Under normal operation with each zone, I can hear the water turn on and then flow. Zone 4 isn't doing this. I have tried manually turning on but nothing is flowing through as the others when I manually turn on those. Remember I can hear the flow. I purchased another solenoid just in case the new one was bad, that one too buzzes. I did use the voltmeter and it shows according to youtube specs that all solenoids are good. Just for shits and giggles, I even ran a new wire along with a new common and still nothing. Valve and solenoid are getting power. Lastly, I did move that new assembly over to zone 5 and it works fine. Zone 5's valve now buzzes so I switched everything back. Oh yeah, I did try the other zone sluts since the board goes up to 12 and still nothing, just buzzing.

Would anyone have any other suggestions? I am completely lost at this point

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.... Lastly, I did move that new assembly over to zone 5 and it works fine. Zone 5's valve now buzzes so I switched everything back. Oh yeah, I did try the other zone slots since the board goes up to 12 and still nothing, just buzzing.......

Is this a typo? Did the problem go with the valve or just the zone connection at the controller. Individual zones can go bad at the controller. If you loosen the solenoid counter clockwise (without power) water should flow. Normally the solenoids would not buzz unless you have too high of a voltage. Without any load and power to the 24v AC transformer the output can read as high as 29 volts ac. With a load no more than ~24v AC and solenoids may work as low as 18 volts. Measure the voltage while the solenoid is buzzing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks