Can''t get Pump Down to Mate with Pitless

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Eldonw, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Eldonw

Eldonw New Member

I have a Wieses pitless adapter.
    Wieses pitless.JPG

I have lowered the pump down the well. It hands up just before or right at where the adapter should be.

The first time I needed it to go down 4 more inches and it would have been in place. I pulled it up to look at it and make sure that the lever was all the way down. Now it is hanging up a little further away.

I am so close but so far! lol
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure the pump isn't hitting the bottom of the well?
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

+1

That would be my guess. Keep in mind that if the motor gets buried in sediment that it can lose needed cooling flow. Is the well top or bottom fed?
  4. Eldonw

Eldonw New Member

I did wonder that but it is the exact same length as before. I am replacing a bad pump.

I do not know if the well is top or bottom fed sorry. How do you tell?
  5. LLigetfa

How deep is the pump set? How far down does the casing go? Is is screened? Is it a rock bore?

The answers to those questions may indicate whether or not it is top fed.
  6. Eldonw

Eldonw New Member

The pump is 65 ft. I do not know about the casing. I will have to figure out what the other things mean.
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

It is not uncommon for you to have pulled the old pump out of 3 or 4 inches of sand, and now the new pump won't go back to the same depth. You can usually even see the line on the old motor where the sand had filled up to.
  8. LLigetfa

Been there, done that. Twice I shortened the drop pipe to get by until I could get the sand blown out of the well.
  9. LLigetfa

Did the motor quit of did the wet end wear out from the sand? If the motor died from lack of cooling, consider putting a sleeve on the new pump after you get the well cleaned out.
  10. Eldonw

Eldonw New Member

I do not know. It has rained here so I can not see anything on the pump that would tell me about the sand.

How do you clean the well out?
  11. Eldonw

Eldonw New Member

The pipe is schedule 80 I think. If I need to shorten it how should I do that? It is threaded and screws into the adapter.
  12. LLigetfa

The DIY way is to rent a large compressor and shove the air line down the well. When you turn the air on, it will blow a lot of mud and water up into the air and onto everything nearby.

My well guy did it with a tanker truckload of water and a 2" fire pump.

A decade later, I did it the poorboy way when I could not get the well guy to come out. I made up an auger on the end of 60 feet of pipe and ran it down and tripped it back out several times. Then I put my old pump down the hole and pumped the mud until it ran clear. Got back 15 feet of casing that way.