Can't Get Diamond Cup Wheel Off Of Grinder

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidSeon

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is close enough to a Shower & Tub question -

I used a diamond cup wheel for the first time to remove adhesive residue on a concrete bathroom floor. It is a 4 1/2" double row spin-on DeWalt DW4774, so it doesn't use the backing flange, lock nut and wrench all my other wheels use. It worked like a charm but now I can't get the darn thing off!

Is there a trick or a special tool for this? It seems like it's going to take a lot of leverage but I don't know whether to grab it by the holes or the segments or what. I hate to damage or unbalance it, they ain't cheap!

Thanks for any help.

Dave

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Maybe it has a Left-hand thread ?

You can put it against a piece of wood to hold the blade.

DavidSeon

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm afraid it is right-handed. There are flats on the top of the wheel but there's not enough space between the wheel and the dust extraction shroud to get a wrench on it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some, the shroud can be removed making access possible. Some grinders come with a custom wrench that has an offset in it, and it's thin enough to get to the flats. I've no idea where mine is, and if yours had one, you may not know either!

If you can put a wrench on the cup anywhere, then use a mallet to give it a whack. Just make sure you're unloosening it!

DavidSeon

Reaction score
Preparations for hurricane Isaac have temporarily interrupted my project but I did double-check the exposed spindle threads with the grinder's lock nut, the threads are indeed right-handed. A section of the shroud is removable, but my wrench is the dual-pin type and the pins keep it from getting to the flats. I think you're right, I'm just going to have to whack it with something.

Thanks for your reply.
Dave

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need a sharp impact to loosen it - something that is applied faster than the inertia of the motor shaft to get it to start to spin off. That's easier if you have a lever functionally making the cup larger in diameter (i.e., the wrench sticking out).

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
... I'm just going to have to whack it with something....

OMG - I love it. Sometimes to only tool needed in the tool box is a really big hammer. Personally I'd whack it with my 2" Spanner.

Before smashing it is it possible to put the cup wheel in a vice and then press the lock pin and twist the grinder? I have had hole saw bits stick on me that have never come off, and trust me they have been Whacked and Whacked.

What about a little heat on the cup wheel?

If it resorts to blows then make sure you hit it in the right spot. It is very hard to get leverage clamping to a round fitting.

JW

DavidSeon

Reaction score
Whacked it with one of my special tools.

Sledgehammer.jpg

Bosch suggested I use one of their wheels that are unthreaded and take the usual flange and lock nut. I suggested they send me a sample to test. He laughed.

Oh well, probably not the last novice mistake I'll make. Thanks for the replies.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Just put some gloves on and put a little muscle into it. If you're having problems like this, maybe working with tools isn't for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks