Cant find the valve box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have been looking for the automatic valves on my system. I have located the wires from my timer and traced them to where they enter the ground. I dug down and see that they go down about 2 feet then go lateral. I want to avoid digging up the yard to trace these to the valves. Not sure why they are covered to begin with. I will fix that once I find them. I tried a tone generator but the lines are to deep to pick up the tone. Any advice?

Regards,

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a real hack installation job. Valve boxes should not be totally buried and they should be located very close to the controller. The wires should not be strung out underground and buried either. You might have some luck finding it if you use a probe combined with common sense. You know what direction the wires seem to run, so it would be fairly logical that the box would be in that direction.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You can rent a cable/pipe locator to follow the wires. There is also a device that makes the valve solenoids buzz (it's called a Chatterbox) which may not be useful if the valves are too deep.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have made progress this weekend on this project. I have located all 3 valves. They were buried by the installer. I dug them all up. I plan to relocate all 3 remote valves to a centralized manifold box to branch out from there. And not burry it. lol…

Now for my questions...

I plan to replace all the valves and controller. I like the Hunter controller and valves. Does anyone have any concerns about this hardware? I looked up the hunter controllers and there seem to be so many types.
Pro -C
ICC
XC
SRC
ACC

I see the Pro-C is a popular model. Any concerns?

Thanks for all your help.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Pro C is a good choice, with a few more functions than the entry-level SRC. I install both models.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks