Can't figure this out! Need some elec. know-how

Users who are viewing this thread

stockwatchn

Reaction score
My dishwasher died the other day, no power to panel. I checked the circuit breakers and reset all the GFCIs in the kitchen. Nothing. So I pulled the unit out checked the connection box (all looked good). On a whim I plugged the dishwasher into an extension cord and tried plugging it into the receptacle, just a few feet away, for the garbage disposal(which works fine). Nothing.
Then I try plugging it in across the room and BAM! I got power to the dishwasher.
Not knowing all that much about amps and volts I have concluded that the two receptacles can power low energy things like a lamp but not more demanding items like a dishwasher or space heater (i tried it). How come it worked before?

I need some education here.

Thanks Zink

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First off, the garbage disposal receptacle is switched. Did you flip on the switch when tring the dishwasher?

All signs are that the receptacle your DW was plugged into is dead. If for sure all circuit breakers are on ( find the one for the DW. Flip it all the way off, then back on. A tripped breaker is not always obvious to the eye.) If the breaker is ok, then there may be a loose wire at the receptacle, or elsewhere.

stockwatchn

Reaction score
Checked breakers

New information: This house is just two years old so most of the electrical work is pretty new. Also, I just noticed that the dishwasher and disposal are on different circuits.

Yes, I flipped the switch on the disposal and it works fine...I also plugged in a lamp into the same receptacle which worked fine...but when I plug in the dishwasher no-go...I also plugged in a space heater there and no-go.

I rechecked the circuit breakers and flipped them back and forth and I get no power.

The one thing I haven't done yet is to check the dishwasher receptacle yet because the plummer ran the pex so tight to the dishwasher I can't get the unit all the way out. Of course I will have to disconnect the pex to get the plug back in there but I was trying to figure out this mystery first.

stockwatchn

Reaction score
Thanks for you help..Mystery solved

Jimbo, you were right...the fact that the disposal receptacle needs to be switched on to work gave me false results.

In the end I think a breadmaker tripped the GFCI...it took me a while to figure this out because when I pulled the dishwasher out it pulled out the plug, but the plumbing was so tight I couldn't just plug it in again after I reset the GFCI.

So I started messing around with the extension cord and disposal receptacle which caused my brain fart.

In the end I got the unit out plugged it in and voila!

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks