Can't budge old moen handles/skirts

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ho333ard, Jul 6, 2008.

1. ho333ard

ho333ard New Member

It's always the easy stuff that stops you in your tracks.
    I have to remove the handles and skirts from a shower faucet set to remodel, and I can't budge 'em.
    It's old Moen stuff, superficially like this:
    [​IMG]
    But with solid metal handles held on with a recessed allen screw towards the base (and a 3rd diverter handle).
    Can't budge the screws on anyt of 'em. Tried a variety of allen wrenches- they either just turn through or don't fit. Tried soaking with penetrant. Tried prying/forcing off-- they won't budge.
    Would appreciate any advice. This stuff works fine and I really don't have time to go chasing around after replacement parts.
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Your picture didn't work because that particular vendor is filtered out by the forum software. Use moens website to link your valve here.
    http://www.moen.com
  3. ernie3

ernie3 New Member

removing screws

I can't tell you how to get the handle off (having the same problem), but I can give you a tip on getting the screws out. Had the same problem with a faucet handle where the Allen wrench holes were rounded out. After a few hours of cussing, I went to Home depot and got a screw extractor sized to fit into the hole. Hooked it into a cordless drill, popped it in the allen wrench hole and screw came right out.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handles

Have you tried metric allen keys?
  5. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

I had that problem with Moen vanity faucets, on four out of six bath sinks in my home. A plastic part deteriorates and jams itself in the skirt threads. The part is supposed to be removable without tools, but I had to use progressively larger pump pliers with old leather belts to get the skirts off. After scratching enough chrome, and becoming concerned that I'd damage a vanity top, I finally got out my SawsAll and cut every one out of the house and replaced them with new Delta fixtures.

It wasn't my first problem with Moen, and I've never had a problem with Delta.