Cannot unsweat brass/copper fitting

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by DIYMike, Feb 16, 2005.

1. DIYMike

DIYMike New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I'm trying to seperate the 1/2"copper tubing from my moen tub filler valve assembly. I was able to remove the copper from the brass "filler" tube, but cannot remove it from the brass "valve" tube. It looks like a sweat connection, it seems hot enough and touching solder to it melts instantly, but it is not loosening up. Are there "factory" welds, or do I need a different torch or something?

Help, thanks!
    - Michael
  2. Clayton

Clayton Plumber

Sep 26, 2004
    hot hot hot

Are you talking about a Moen roman tub faucet?
    If so, I believe they come from the factory with the short pieces of copper already installed in the sides and bottom of the valves. So the installer is to assemble them with a tee and short copper tube for the tub spout. Since this requires the installer to make sweat connections within 3"-5" of the factory connections I would imagine these factory connections are brazed or at least use a joining material that has a higher melting point than that of your standard solder. If you haven't ruined the joint, then I would just use sweat fittings to extend the nipples as you want them.

Some of these faucets come completely assembled on 10" centers.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. DIYMike

DIYMike New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    yep - then I need to replace them :(

Darn, I was fooled by the easy to remove filler connection. I not only cut them too short, but I'm sure I overheated them as well. So - are replacements going to cost as much as a whole new setup?
  5. DIYMike

DIYMike New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Moen 4999

Thanks for your help Clayton. You clued me in to the problem, and solution. The roughin for this unit is 4999... ~$70.

Found them online, but hope to find one locally (North County San Diego).