Cannot Remove Stuck Ceramic Cartridge Valve!

Users who are viewing this thread

DeeDeeN

Reaction score
I have tried every possible recommendation I could find on the internet. Cannot get the ceramic valve out. It won't budge. Took out the part. Used WD40, soaked in liquid wrench, heat, etc. How can I get take this thing apart to replace the broken cartridge valve?!

Attachments

• faucet Cartridge Valve.JPG
    faucet Cartridge Valve.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 373
  • Faucet.jpg
    Faucet.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
A photo often helps people to see what you have. 800 pixels or less, 200 KB or less.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unusual. I am not a pro, and I have never seen something configured like that. The spout opening and the handle are pointing the same direction. What is its mounting position (just curious). The only way that makes sense to me is if the long thread descends from above.

I think that does not use a cartridge, but instead would be a more classic design with a washer and seat.

You probably want to wait until somebody who may recognize that valve, but I think that you would want to fully open the valve, as if you are trying to pass water out of the spout, before trying to unscrew the brass. You can blow air to make sure you turned the right way. Then you will chuck that brass part into a vice, and turn the spout. You might stick a screwdriver into the spout for leverage. One hand on the screwdriver, and one on the spout.

You might start counting the flutes on the brass, because you are probably going to need that info to find a replacement stem.

Reach4

Reaction score
s-l64.jpg
Ahh. That explains it.

I might well be wrong assuming no cartridge. It looked pretty vintage to me, but I see that it is a current design.

DeeDeeN

Reaction score
Problem solved! Took it to my local Ace Hardware and they used a vice grip they have on their work bench, which I didn't have, and it easily came off.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks