Cannot Remove Shower Handle After Removing Center Screw

Users who are viewing this thread

diwhat

Reaction score
Hi All:

I am trying to replace the cartridge in c. 1994 shower faucet handle as pictured.

Question: I removed the center screw at the bottom of the handle but the handle won't budge. Is there another screw hidden somewhere. (I tried prying the handle off in case it was stuck from hard water deposits, but that did not work and I am reluctant to apply more force.)

Does anyone know what brand this is or what a good next step is.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_163745_492.jpg
    IMG_20160621_163745_492.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,274

Speede541

Reaction score
I've had this problem and, as I'm sure you know, there's probably not a good place to employ a pry bar without running the risk of cracking tile or backer. But you can try a sheet of ply to spread the load.

In my instance, a recip saw and careful carving with a high-count blade was the solution. I hope the anti-seize I applied afterward makes the difference the next time.

diwhat

Reaction score
I've had this problem and, as I'm sure you know, there's probably not a good place to employ a pry bar without running the risk of cracking tile or backer. But you can try a sheet of ply to spread the load.

In my instance, a recip saw and careful carving with a high-count blade was the solution. I hope the anti-seize I applied afterward makes the difference the next time.
oakland: thanks for the quick response. So you're saying that the handle is just stuck. It's not some special secret german engineered procedure to get it off?

Would you agree that a handle puller might work as Smooky suggests?

Thanks again!

diwhat

Reaction score

Speede541

Reaction score
That's a good reason to not install a shower handle with just a set screw but without a center bolt.

diwhat

Reaction score
ok, thanks again. I ended up using a hacksaw just behind the handle since a handle pullet wouldn't fit this fixture. Handle removed. But of course led to me to another question (on a different thread)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks