Can you use modified thin set with Kerdi and Ditra?: Yes if you use Ardex

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
ardex is newer to me / around here i am looking at these 2 mortars for my current project ..... new vendor new product

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
For me too ....maybe I should give a try to the X7R ....it should work as a rapid setting mortar , when needed .

I wonder if they came up with the new grout epoxy colors -- from 5 to more than 20 -- ?

Never got to test sample the FL grout . What tile should I test it on ?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Me said:
I will do even more, Vegas .

I will submerge the fresh mortar -- GraniRapid --so you can see it is not affected by it -- the specialized mortars -- . I will monitor the cure with the regular samples and give it a chance of double times for the submerged mortar -- curing -- .

Then will decide how to test it further.

I will call this test -- VEGAS STYLE -- .

Alright , I did check it out after 27 hours from the mixing -- 4 batches ( 2 good and 2 bad ) of GR one on top of the other -- and submerged the entire time . 2 SS trims which I inserted before curing all the way to the bottom of the small bucket -- about 7 inches -- , are attached through the empty spaces designed for anchoring the trim by the interlocking transfer of the mortar GR -- flowing from one side to the other -- , which in the same time is attached -- adhered -- to the contact areas of the SS trims with the mortar . The total weight is about 10 KG .

Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 001.jpg
Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 002.jpg
Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 003.jpg

Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 005.jpg

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The mortar I have access to on the surface is cured . It cured under submerged conditions . It is normal of a highly modified and rapid setting to do it . The water doesn't affected if the bonding is accomplished and if the tile is undisturbed , it will not loose bond . But that's for a different subject .

Alright , here is how it looks like -- water removed -- .

Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 006.jpg
Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 014.jpg

I did try to dent it , poke it , etc. it didn't go through more than 1/8 or less .

Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 015.jpg
Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 016.jpg

I did hook the handle to a weight measuring device -- a real old one -- and went all the way to applying a force of about 40Kg of pulling -- vertical motion as you would try to remove the SS trims -- . Everything is looking good and solid , but I think I cannot trust the test to be reliable until my bad batches of GR -- first and third layer of 4 -- are not cured completely . I expect them to be ready in about 48 to 72 hours . I have the other samples as curing time guides , which can be found in the other thread -- '' GraniRapid -- liquid vs. powder -- old vs. new -- .

Now I put back the bucket -- only 15 minutes out -- in a submerged conditions since this test is about the cure under submerged conditions of the mortar .

Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 019.jpg
Bucket test -- 4 batches GR Vegas style 021.jpg

Later :)

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto. Can you remove a section of the Kerdi from that Line Drain for me. That was one of the first kerdi Line drains sold in Vancouver when they where launched. I want to know what the adhesive is that is holding the Kerdi to the Stainless lip.

I just removed some today and was shocked by what I found....

The adhesive was not white nor clear but rather a light brown colour.....

I'm going to pee!!! lol I bet I can't keep it a secret much longer! lol

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The adhesive is not brown John . It is clear .

I can put some of the not cured GR over it . lol

Can you send me some. Maybe cut off an edge....

I assumed this. When I pulled at that drain I did not see the brown. I remember a Schluter rep telling me he used a razor to get it off.

I remember another setter telling me he sanded it off.

So it appears that the new Kerdi Line drain is NEW and Improved.

I guess that might mean - faster and cheaper to make....

Doesn't some blow hard here always talk about how bad construction adhesive is for tile work? Why would Schluter switch out glues. And why is it brittle?

WTF is going on? Who OK'd this? lol - I know I did not.

Who wants a chunk of the Kerdi Glue? I have souvenirs for you men....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Did you try to remove it with acetone ? Maybe you should try to see how it reacts to it .

Do you want me to chop a piece of the drain and send it to you back ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Kerdi%2Bover%2Ba%2Bfitting.jpg

It's not a long shot to say this fitting is not waterproofed by the kerdi install. A little Ardex 8+9 in these tough to Kerdi spaces would have solved the issue of the impossible to Kerdi Washing Machine Pan.

There is no way to use Kerdi or Kerdi Board to make this a water tight pan.

When Team "A" tells you you can't play ball - Time to switch teams. Team "B" has better products......

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Hey John , do you want me to send you the sample of the Vegas Style test .....for further testing ?

Vegas style GR test.JPG

You have the pulling facility in order , right ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I will test anything you send me.

It would be easier for me to re create your rig here and save the shipping.

No need to send me the Kerdi Line drain. I can tell by the look and your efforts that the old glue on the kerdi Line drain is a better product that the new glue I have on this old one. Had on the old one.

I'll ship you and RSCB a coil of what appears to be Bull Dog Construction Adhesive and some Kerdi fleece.

You can hear it crack when you bend it. Not very pliable at all... Why would they not use Kerdi Fix for this step? Maybe it takes longer and costs more???

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JW said:
Why would they not use Kerdi Fix for this step?

This would be a great idea . Maybe it has something to do with the psi thing , but who knows .

I would change the bonding of the Kerdi to the SS with the Kerdi fix or similar -- this is what a PRO would do -- . Long term thinking , not a basic standard one .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
When I had my first Kerdi failure (Kerdi falling off walls with vacuum) my Schluter rep asked about it right away (the date codes). When I had my first self levelling failure I found out from a cement chemist my error (old self levelling).

So I started checking like a Ninja all the time. School of Hard Nocks. I bet if you read every printed item from Schluter, Wedi, Laticrete, Custom, Ardex and the like that not one of them mentions this in their packaging.... I wonder why? Yet if you have a failure they will certainly ask you for their secret date codes, batch numbers and where you bought the material.

What would you make of these codes John ?

Ardex codes on mortar bags 001.jpg
Ardex codes on mortar bags 002.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Ardex X32 Gray Date Codes for 2014

12594 421 X32 Gray - January 2014
12594 422 X32 Gray - February 2014
12594 423 X32 Gray - March 2014
12594 424 X32 Gray - April 2014
12594 425 X32 Gray - May 2014
12594 426 X32 Gray - June 2014

12594 427 X32 Gray - July 2014
12594 428 X32 Gray - August 2014
12594 429 X32 Gray - September 2014
12594 430 X32 Gray - October 2014
12594 431 X32 Gray - November 2014
12594 432 X32 Gray - December 2014

These date codes I took from my blog post on reading them.

425 = May 2014

427 = July 2014

The production numbers are always three digits - the others are product codes, crew codes and batch numbers.... The key is the Production month.... Check out my blog post to learn more but that is pretty much it.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks John .

That's so interesting and quite strange in the same time at the way they deal with the date codes . So , if you know the number of the specific year you can do some math to know exactly what you have .

Your link is awesome . :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto. When I'm at my suppliers I often goggle my own blog page to find the info. It is the easiest way to keep it all straight. Mapei is swathing out to newer Laticrete style bags with proper printed dates.

Hopefully Ardex follows suit and makes the change to a more user friendly coding system and better bag.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Laticrete had a 5-year exclusive arrangement with the company that makes the plastic bagging machines for the concrete products and that term has expired, so other companies are able to now buy them. They cost about $1M each, so it's not a casual purchase. I had an opportunity to watch one in action a couple of weeks ago...neat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks