Can you use modified thin set with Kerdi and Ditra?: Yes if you use Ardex

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
John,

You are going to need to test this claim of ball bearing thinset and report back.

We are going to need to know what percentage of tennis elbow one can expect to avoid after 1 year exclusive troweling with only tec 3N1 LOL.....

claims worth only the pencil lead they were conjured with do indeed boost sales..

It seems they rely on the nanotechnology ............ remember the BASF products -- 20 years ago -- ?

Seems that the final cure is after 21 days -- steam showers will not see grouting before that , I guess -- .

http://media.hbfuller.com/documents/TEC 3N1 Mortar PDS (1213).pdf

No ISO classifications , but it beats all the ANSI requirements .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I've gathered few mortars for the tests .....

OMG - I think it moved. LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
No Pepocchopper for me. Sometimes I get Heart Burn and I reach for the pickle jar. Pour out a two ounce shot - shot it and then eat a pickle. Seems to work. White vinegar does the same but is nastier...

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
To avoid cross contamination of polymers -- different mortars and manufacturers -- I decided to install the glass samples after a period of 12hours . Plenty of time for the UF RS to cure without mixing with the other , on the perimeter .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I love it.....

I would like to add that this testing is being preformed by a skilled tile installer in an uncontrolled environment. There is no lab or lab coats used in this test. Some companies call this "Garage Style" - one called it "Whipple Style".

I call - real word testing without all the bullshit marketing hype. I Freaken Love it!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Alright , I did the corner test -- lifting it -- ..... don't worry we all know where the S stands with it .

This will show how the mortar -- rapid set & modified -- performs after 20 hours from the application in between the drywall and Kerdi .

Mortar is showing signs of not complete cure -- at the edges -- and a good grab power of the fleece overall . I am pretty sure few days of curing time will make it even better , but for a purpose tile installation , it is pretty good .

Lifting corners 001.jpg
Lifting corners 002.jpg
Lifting corners 007.jpg
Lifting corners 008.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
This is great.....The Man goes and spends his own $$$$ to test products on his own time. A true Tile geek, full of passion for his craft.

Cant wait to see how this progresses.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You are right about it , RSCB , I love the tile and stone craft . :)

I hate to see it go down the drain --- the linear drains put together are not long enough -- .

Alright , enough about me , I finally complete the installation of the glass samples on the Kerdi membrane .

All the samples went through the same process as follows

Installation of glass samples 004.jpg

Installation of glass samples 005.jpg

Installation of glass samples 006.jpg

Installation of glass samples 007.jpg

Installation of glass samples 008.jpg

Installation of glass samples  X5.jpg

As you can see in the last photo -- sample finished -- the perimeter is blocked with the same mortar . The double notch technique was used -- full contact , no air spaces , 100% coverage , 3/32 thickness , etc. -- , as per an exterior installation requirement -- so the industry says -- . :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm currently at a Laticrete training session in Bethany, CT. In class they indicated that they can build pretty much any length linear shower drain with the outlet where you want it in a couple of weeks. They had one facility in NYC where they just custom built one 23' long for their special application. To make the grate manageable, they made that in sections. The longest grate section they'll make is 8'. One of the princes in Saudi had one ordered gold plated. All possible, if you want to plan ahead and spend the money. IOW, you CAN get one essentially any length you want. Fabrication and shipping might get really expensive (as in that 23' one or gold plating it), but you can get it.

They gave us a preview of some new products to be announced this weekend, but I can't say anything about them...yet.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Roberto, what is the dollop of thinset on top of the glass for? Is it a control to compare curing of thinset exposed to air vs that under the glass?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto, what is the dollop of thinset on top of the glass for? Is it a control to compare curing of thinset exposed to air vs that under the glass?

Good question , Vegas .

I think it will be easier to compare the mortar under the glass -- while curing -- with it -- cured -- .

Once cured , I will also try to remove it and see how well is adhered to the glass . Maybe an insoluble test will be in order . :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks