Can We Start a "FIREPLACE" Segment in the Forums?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by kailor, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kailor

kailor Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama

Is it possible for you to start a "FIREPLACE" segment in the forums? Being winter time, may folks may have questions/issues about their gas or real fireplace.

I have a Monessen BDV36 (?) gas fireplace insert (direct-vented up through chimney). I leave the pilot on all year. When I turn on the fireplace and leave the room for a while and then come back the fireplace will have gone out but the pilot light ALWAYS stays lit. The fireplace will usually run for about 45 minutes to an hour before going out. What might be causing this to happen? Should not the fireplace stay on until I choose to turn it off? Thanks in advance.
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Dec 28, 2009
    "retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    northfork, california
    that looks like a "NO". Move it to HVAC
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. MACPLUMB 777

Aug 6, 2007
    Outside sales for Trojan Tools
    Houston, Texas, United States
    One of two things it has a thermostat maybe built into the gas valve and reachs the
    temputure setting

or # 2 it is closes off on the high limit thermostat to keep from burning down your house
  5. sarahjohnston89

sarahjohnston89 New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    Fireplace Replacement parts

I never realized how much I take my fireplace for granted until I had to replace a part for it. I turn it on every day with out even thinking about it. My house stays warm and that where my thought stops. My husband told me that we needed a new switch and he might as well have been speaking a foreign language because I didn't even know where to look. His sister gave me a website and in a matter of minutes I found the part I needed and had it ordered. I got the switch in 3 days and my fireplace was as good as new. I really don't think it gets any simpler then that. If I can do it any one can !