can vent go down few inch?

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I need to join a washing machine vent into an existing vertical vent line which is in another room. Because there is a beam, the new washing machine vent will go up, go horizontal and then go down about 5" to connect to the existing vertical vent line. Is that 5" down ok?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbing in MA without a license can get you in trouble! For a vent to work, it must not have a belly, or low spot just like a drain. Once it is assigned to be a vent, it must slope up all the way to the atmosphere. This is to allow any condensation, rain, snow, etc., to not fill up the low spots because it can drain out. If that line is truly a vent, then you cannot run the WM drain into it, but it can be the vent if you don't have a belly in the run to it, and the distance from the trap is within 5' if it is 2" pipe. Once a vent, always a vent. Once a drain, always a drain. To change the function means you must replace it with a new run so the vent or drain function is not compromised.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TEchnically, No!, but since it appears that water can drain both ways from the drop location it should work, assuming your description is actually the way it is installed.

lmei007

Reaction score
TEchnically, No!, but since it appears that water can drain both ways from the drop location it should work, assuming your description is actually the way it is installed.

Here is my case on the draw. I cannot see any risk of water blocking the vent.

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 617

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Instead of dropping 5" what about going up 10" or 12" and tie in above the joist !

Which is what plumbers do

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We don't know what kind of distances or obstacles you have to deal with. I would rather run the entire horizontal drain below the joist or go up into the the wall of the floor above to tie in. If it is a long distance, I would look for a better/closer place to run a new vertical vent through to the attic and tie in there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Instead of dropping 5" what about going up 10" or 12" and tie in above the joist !

Which is what plumbers do

That one makes me smile. We plumbers just hate talking to inspectors, and find it way easier to just do anything to prevent that conversation.
I can drill holes in walls like nobody's business. I would much rather swiss cheese the home in the right places and be done with it.

What hj says is right too, It would drain both ways. But if I have an inspector coming out, I'm just drilling the holes. In fact, I'm so well trained in that regard, that I drill em anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks