Can this 1/2" copper line be moved?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by munchie, Jun 4, 2014.

1. munchie

munchie New Member

Hi all,

New member of the forum here with an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I want to replace my vanity in the powder room but I have this pipe that is in the way. I'm wondering if at all is possible to move the pipe that's to the right of the wall few inches to the left. The pipe curves into the wall and is bent the whole way so if I cut it I don't know if it'll be possible to connect a piece of pipe to extend it to the left. I live in a townhouse and that pipe runs outside to an outdoor spigot. I appreciate any help or ideas!

IMG_20140604_171006.jpg

IMG_20140604_171551.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

All things are possible. Some just take more time and money.

You may need to open up the wall more for access in moving that 1/2" copper line.
  3. munchie

munchie New Member

Thanks, I will open it up more but not sure how to attack this. The pipe is in between two studs where there is only 2"-3" and the hole where the pipe goes through in the second stud is maybe 1" x 1". Do I have to go pass the second stud where the pipe goes through and make a cut there? Not sure how I would get a torch in the little space.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Someone sure liked bending copper instead of using the proper fittings. It can be done, but I am not sure that YOU can do it, especially without burning the house down. Call a plumber.
  5. munchie

munchie New Member

I can do it!! lol

Thanks guys, I'm going to stare at this thing for a little longer and see what I can do. If I don't think I can do it then I'll call a professional. I hate giving up on things but I also know what my limits are. Don't worry I won't burn my house down.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A plumber would cut out anything that burns first. Maybe by sawing away more wood.
    And a plumber would have water on hand to put out any fire.
    Cool-Gel may be useful here too.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I would pack my silicone mat around the tubing.
  8. munchie

munchie New Member

Thanks for the tips guys!