can the shower valve be in a different place?

Users who are viewing this thread

thekid

Reaction score
I'm remodeling the master bath and expanding the bathroom. I'm re-plumbing the entire thing and i want to know if i can have the shower valve located away from the shower head instead of directly underneath it.

I want to put the valve on the opposite wall as to be able to turn it on and off while reaching into the shower instead of walking into the shower to turn it on.

Can i do this? Any issues with running the water lines to and from the valve to the shower head and body sprays? Am i going to lose any pressure from going around those corners with that extra piping?

here is a rough picture of what i want to do

attachment.php

Attachments

• shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,661

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There would be no problem doing what you propose. A bit unconventional maybe, but it actually makes pretty good sense to me.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
you can run the shower head over your bed if you like...just be sure there is a drain pan under it...:)

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I am actually planning to do this same sort of shower fixture setup in two custom installations I am currently working on. However my shower stalls use sliding doors with the valve and sliding bar on opposite walls, meaning that the showerhead would never actually spray against a door. However your installation would leave the risk of having water spray outside the open shower door while you are turning on the valve if the last person that took a shower forgot to point the showerhead down after they were finished; but that depends on how long the shower stall is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll have a lot more water trapped in the line, and it might continue to drip for awhile after you shut things off. Plus, what doesn't come out will be cold when you go back to turn it on again. Having a long run after the valve will also mean changes in the valve setting will take awhile. None of these a deal stoppers, but you need to understand the ramifications of your choice. You migth want to consider a thermostatically controlled valve. Once you find your perfect temp, you just turn the volume control on or off. It will stay the same winter/summer. With a pressure balanced valve, you'll have to remember exactly where you want it, and that will change winter to summer as the incoming cold temp changes (or you start to run out of hot).

thekid

Reaction score
Thanks guys

great info as always.

this forum has been a big help to me and this project

Ben...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks