Can someone please tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by costnerj, Jul 2, 2012.

1. costnerj

costnerj New Member

In my bedroom closet there is a valve that has been leaking. The valve shuts off the water in the home. I took the valve out to replace it and took it to Home Depot, Lowes, and another hardware store and no one seems to have seen this before.

It has a knob like an outdoor water spigot and it looks EXACTLY like one. The only thing its missing is the second hole that allows the water to come out. I've enclosed a picture of it, to better explain it.

I'm trying to find a replacement for it to stop the leaking without having to solder the pipe and replace a brand new shut off valve.

Any help would be great. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

chances of finding one to match are very slim. Why not just rebuild the one you have with a new washer and packing?

John
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Basic globe ( compression ) valve stem. Unlikely to find a replacement since each brand is different, and given the apparent age, even a valve from the same brand, if you knew it, likely is no longer the same. You can repair those, but it looks like the stem is bent. Time to bite the bullet.
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Time to cut it out and install a new full port ball valve
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That could be a Nibco #75 compression globe valve, and if so, a new "top", if you could find a new valve, might interchange with it. It is NOT an approved valve for the water line coming into the house or for a water heater, so replacement would be preferred to repairing it.