Can someone ID this valve and help me fix it? Danze 5020-57

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jed1154, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Here is the valve:

[​IMG]

The diverter portion on the bottom, as you can see from the color, is leaking. It leaks when the hose is turned on and it leaks into the wall, which shows up in the toilet area on the other side.

What valve is this and what part do I need to replace? It looks like it leaks where it threads into the valve and also around the part that 'turns'.

Can someone help me out?
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  3. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

OK...thanks a ton. I was not aware my shower had any temperature limiter on it??

One more thing. I found a 'manual' for a Danze 5020-57 that has drawings that look very similar to mine.

Is there any chance it could be a Danze?
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Dan

Danze is made by Delta. I believe their balancing spool is located in the shower cartride. The picture of you're valve shows the balancing spool in the valve body. It is the hex shaped bolt head located next to the screwdriver stop in the picture. Where did you "find" the manual? How many baths do you have in you're house. Danze is the high end Delta line of fixtures. Can you post a picture of the handle and trims?
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Au contraire...Danze is made by Globe Union. http://www.globeunion.com/page.php?key=marketing

I was going to say that the valve and the trim cap/sleeve resembled Glacier Bay, also made by Globe Union. Could be Danze. Does not seem to resemble that toto diagram
  6. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

I 'found' the manual in my attic with all sorts of extra parts and such. See, my home was built by the owner/builder, and all parts were purchased beforehand so they would be available as they completed the home. As such, I have fixtures, sinks, plumbing, electrical...all sorts of stuff in boxes and this happened to be an open box with a manual in it. I have three full baths, but only two are completed...the master and the guest bath.

Thats where I found the manual. Is there a way to tell for sure? I need to get it repaired as its the master bath.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

So this is a secret manual with no name or number on it????
  8. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

No secret, its listed in my second post. A Danze 5020-57...but I am not SURE its for the one in my master bath...thats my point. It is likely a manual for the one in the master OR guest, but I am not sure which. Thats why i asked.

EDIT: I sent the picture to TOTO and Danze....I just got an email that Globe Union is shipping me the diverter assembly and o-rings....so, I guess that answers my question. It must be a Danze.

Am I to understand (as per reading this site) that Danze is High end cost and low end quality?

The unit is probably about 10 years old. What sucks is that I don't know its leaking until it comes through the bathroom tile grout on the other side of the wall.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  9. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Also....both Toto AND Danze have replied to my emails and pictures and claimed it to be their product.

Wierd. Toto wanted to charge me for the diverter, Danze just shipped me a new part. I guess Ill wait for the danze part and see if thats it or not.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you showed the trim, that may help as well. From the pieces I've seen, Toto usually has their name on the trim somewhere, which may also may shed light.
  11. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

I should have photo'ed the trim, but I assure you, there are no markings for brand anywhere on it. The only markings are 'tub/shower' and 'hot/cold'....