Can someone help with my drain please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So I have a question since I can't actually dry fit PVC. I've cut the riser but have yet to cement it in. I put the riser in there just to test, but it appears that it is not coming straight up, but rather at an angle (towards the left). I think this is causing the the right side of the riser to be a little higher, thus causing the kerdi drain flange not to fit perfectly.

The reason for this all is because the hole in the joist where the drain comes through is towards the top; its not centered. I assume this was done for drainage purposes. I'm gonna guess that the drain was straight before I took it out and redid it because they (erroneously) used an inside coupling and wedged it in there in a way that straightened out the pipe.

OK...so how do I fix this? Should I just cut the riser a bit shorter so it fits right? OR it could be that I actually did do this right (it honestly does look straight kinda) and once I prime and glue it everything will workout?

Here are some pics. I hate PVC.

Thanks a ton!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water flows downhill, and you need to keep a 2% grade on it.
Your vertical looks fine in the picture, but then it's just a picture and a camera lense can play havoc with that. Use a level if you're wondering.

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense and I feel like I'm going crazy! If the pipe is angled coming into the p-trap, wouldnt the riser and up being angled too?! o_O

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That makes perfect sense and I feel like I'm going crazy! If the pipe is angled coming into the p-trap, wouldnt the riser and up being angled too?! o_O

believe it or not, plumbing is designed with built in slope. We've already thought of that, even if you haven't.

If fittings didn't have the built in angles, it would be impossible to plumb them with any sort of grade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks