Can remove chrome sleeve on stem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackie123

Reaction score
Trying to fix leak in bathtub faucet. Handles were hard to remove but sleeve will not come of. Tried heating them, penetrating oil but will not move. It is hard to grip them as every slips off. Can I remove stem while sleeve in place.

Attachments

• 1457898567631-491703113.jpg
    1457898567631-491703113.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_20160311_121227.jpg
    IMG_20160311_121227.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 600
Reaction score
These always come off easy with a Mapp pencil torch.

Mapp gas brings a high amount of heat to a smaller area than propane can.

Propane heats too slow as the entire valve acts as a heatsink.

Jackie123

Reaction score
Looked on Internet their are pencil torch attachments but they all use propane. Saw one very small one that uses butane. I really new to plumbing repairs and I do not know a great deal about different tools.

Jackie123

Reaction score
That appears to be a Crane Dial-Eze stem and you have to unscrew the part with the two flats on it.
I have tried turning the part with the 2 flats but it does not move but the pipes in the wall are not happy when I use a lot of force. I put a shut of valve in downstairs so if the pipe in the wall broke I will not have a leak in the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put a shut of valve in downstairs so if the pipe in the wall broke I will not have a leak in the wall.
Normally you turn off the water before trying to take these apart.

Jackie123

Reaction score
I have turned water of with shut off valve. I installed the shut valve in case I ran into a problem and did not want to have water off to the whole house. I looked on the Internet and it does look like crane dial eye stem. That is good to know! Now just have to try and get it out.

Jackie123

Reaction score
Success! I heated the stem up again and cranked really hard since I knew I was doing the right thing and I got it out. Once I get a new stem, do I need to replace the seat or is it part of the new stem.

Attachments

• P_20160314_135352.jpg
    P_20160314_135352.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 614

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The easiest way is to just buy a new complete stem and screw it in. There will be a cork gasket that goes around it and is squeezed by that first nut you removed. You do NOT do anything to the seat inside the faucet. The new stem takes care of everything.

Jackie123

Reaction score
I now have both stems out and I did buy new seat for the faucet and seat wrench but they did not come out easily so I decide I would just put the new stems in and hope the seats were ok. But I think I might have another problem. My cold water line is shut off just before the cold bathtub faucet but due to the plumbing arrangement of the pipes I could not easily just put a valve in close of the bathtub hot water so I put one in that shut all the hot water off. Figured I could live without hot water for a couple of days, if necessary. However when I turn the cold water on in the bathroom sink, cold water comes out the hot water pipe siting out the wall for the bathtub faucet. The flow increase as I turn the tape on more. As long as the cold water tap in the sink is turned of their is not water coming out the hot water pipe in bathroom. I do not understand how/why this could happen.I thought hot and cold water supply line would be completely separate. Any insight would be very helpful. I do not what to put the new stems in if their is an other problem

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. There is NEVER a reason to change the seat on a Dial-Eze faucet, because there is NO wear on it, which is why I said NOT TO DO ANYTHING to the inside of the faucet. You have the hot water valve open on the sink which is why the cold water flows into the hot water system.

Jackie123

Reaction score
Thanks, your are right, closed sink tape and no water coming out tape in bathtub. Do not understand why but I glad it is ok. Will put the stems in and see what happens. I appreciate you help.

Jackie123

Reaction score
Thanks, your are right, closed sink tape and no water coming out tape in bathtub. Do not understand why but I glad it is ok. Will put the stems in and see what happens. I appreciate you help.
Should wrap the stems with white plumping tape before putting them in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks